Dormer window insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can give me some advice please. A builder has installed a dormer into our house which I need to finish internally. He has used OSB board with a timber frame supporting this inside. The timbers are 93mm deep and 43mm wide. I wish to put Celotex insulation boards between these timber members, do I need to put an insulation board as close as possible to the 93mm depth of the timber members or is advisable for example to use a 50mm deep insulation board pushing it flush between the members but retaining an air void of 43mm behind. I intend to then place insulated plasterboard over the top to eliminate cold bridging of the cross members. Can anyone advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fill it completely, flush against the OSB and leaving no gaps against the timber. Then a layer of 25mm or 10mm if space is tight or your insualted plasterboard across the internal face. Tape the celotex joints with foil tape.

I put 75mm between mine then 50mm over the top. Timber is the same size.

The temperature is always constant but the PIR boards do nothing for sound. If I did it again I'd maybe try and get some sound proofing in the void.
IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back