Dormer Windows - Planning permission needed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now i'm confused :confused:

I see from the government planning portal that planning permission now no longer needed since Oct 2008 for fitting dormer windows as long as they meet the guidelines in the planning portal (i.e. max volume, and not extending above the ridge and over the existing roofline, same materials as existing roof, not in conservation area etc. etc.)

Upon checking with my local council (East Hants district council) they say that i still need planning permisson for these ?

Is that right that local councils have rights to ignore central government and apply their own policy ?

Sponsored Links
Planning policy is national.

Ask your council why the proposed dormer will not be permitted development

Thanks Woody. phoned the council again, the problem seems to be getting a correct answer from a help desk person who isnt that familiar with the issue and didnt seem to be aware of the details of the changes from last year !!.

When pushed a bit harder and referred her to the permitted development rights did she go and speak to the planning officer who then agreed with me that it was allowed. Next problem is however that i might have used up all my permitted development rights as my original small bungalow (original 1957) has been extended twice, but im not sure when these extensions were done. It seems that if i go to the council offices i can check on their system to see what permitted development i've already done (and apparently it only counts since 1974). So it would seem that if i still have enough permitted development room left i can crack on with this, if not then i would need to go down the planning permission route. Any other knowledge on this from anyone ? many thanks....

In your case, any permtitted development allowance will apply to any extensions to the original bungalow (plus any original outbuildings) as it was, when built in 1957 - and not since 1974.

You will have an "allowance" of 70m3 volume for extensions if the bungalow is detached or semi-detached, and 50m3 iff a terrace

Sponsored Links
Max volume for roof extensions is 40m³ for a terraced house and 50m³ for other houses. There is no longer any restriction on overall volume as long as you stay within dimensional limits and other standard conditions.

Hi,

If your dormer windows are facing the highway then I believe that is NOT within permitted development - Something to do with overlooking maybe ?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Am interested in how you get on - Keep me posted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back