dot and dab or insta-stik???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm soon going to be starting work on the bathrrom. I'm planning on ripping off the old tiles and plaster so I can fit new plasterboards to the walls before tiling.

All the walls are red brick and some I can batten before boarding. But others are too close to door frame to batten and board so I will need to either dota and dab or use insta stik. Has anyone used insta stik and is it easier than dot and dab for a novice (me).

One wall is very tight for space for the door frame so I can't afford for the plaster to protrude too far which is why I was thinking of using the foam stuff. Does anyone know how much closer I can get the board to the wall if I use the foam?

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
Yes, insta stik is good. As is other similar products.
Can't compare to dot n dab, never done it.
Always used the insta stick, or similar products for those types of jobs.
I felt the PU foam is very easy so never had to try dot n dab.
Got the gun grade and gun, bit expensive, one of purchase, for the gun but now use the product in lots of jobs so paid for itself by now.

Take your plaster board and place it on the wall, thats how close you'll get it. The foam will compress as the board touches the wall.
The adhesive will expand a little while curing so best to clamp/fix the boards. Some PU adhesives will state, "hold the board for one minute" then that's it. forget the manufacturer that stated this. might have been everbuild (?)
Refer to instructions for amount of adhesive thats to be used, and how far apart the beads are etc.

The further thought occurs that it may be more problematic to get each board flush with it's neighbour due to the slight expansion of the foam, so its important to fix/clamp somehow. Certainly dot n dab would be easier to ensure each board is at the same "level" to each other.

Just trying to point out the good and bad with the PU foam.

Possible alternative - investigate insulation boards, tile backer board, wall and floor reinforced tile backer boards. I'm thinking of the boards that have the insulation on the inside with both sides reinforced with a fiberglass (or similar) product. These come slightly thinner than the 12.5mm plasterboard. 10mm and 6mm insulation boards are available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back