Dot and Dab plasterboard, or render???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently doing first fix electrics on my extension and looking ahread to wall plastering.

I was intending to have the blocks rendered and then plastered, but a fried said why dont I platerboard the walls dot and dab style and save on some labour costs. As I've build everything so far and not paid a bean in labour costs I liked the sound of that.

But once electrics are in place and cables with plastic capping down the walls, how does the dot and dab really fit over them as the capping will be proud. Or would it be better to cut slots down the walls for the cables to fit into, so the plasterboard will sit flat to the wall???

Or is it better to just get it remdered and plastered?

Having done everything so far, I'd really like to do the plasterboarding ;)

p.s. I have a friend who is part P trained for testing the electrics and I'm electrically apprenticship trained

Sponsored Links
Theres two ways around the plasterboard application, you can dab it as you said, with thick dabs or you can batten and board it too. If its a kitchen I would batten and board myself with 2x1 batten and fix 12 or 18mm ply or OSB over the top before plasterboard to support cabinets. :)

ps. You haven't got a friend who is part P trained, part P is a building regulation, You have a friend who is registered with a scheme provider which allows him to self certify his work. If you know someone willing to to forge legal documents you shouldn't brag about it, also if you know someone stupid enough to forge documents and lie on a legally binding form that they have designed, installed and tested work that you are doing, and are potentially willing to go to prison if you've made a fatal error then I don't think they should be trusted to test your electrics. Being "electrically apprenticship trained" though, you'd know that :rolleyes:

Thanks John, good thought about the OSB boarding to support the cabinets.

My friend will inspect everything I do, having done an electrical apprenticeship and worked as an electrican for 15 years, I think I can put cables in and easy as the next electrician. I just dont have part P certificate as I dont do that work now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back