Dot & Dab in Bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old house (approx 1911) and need to renovate the bathroom. I have taken the old plaster off (most fell off as it was blown) and now down to brick. A plasterer (nice bloke) wants to "dot & dab" the walls as it is quicker and cheaper, and easier to square up. He assures me it is OK in a bathroom and over the bath where a shower is going.

My concern is that I have read that in a damp/wet bathroom you should not "dot and dab" with plasterboard.

I have heard of Aquapanel, but this can't be "dot & dabbed" I understand. The brickwork is really awfull looking as old houses are, and therefore would be difficult to batten.

Or do I get the walls plastered conventionally?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
dot & dab will stand up to a lot of punishment, but does not perform well when subjected to daily soakings, then drying, then warmth, then cold, no air, etc.

so, aquapanel can be used in those areas local to the shower or bath and can be dabbed the same as a plasterboard.

once dry though, the aquapanel will need screwing as the dab is mostly acting as a leveller/spacer, and has only limited grab.

I had a similar situation with the plaster/block work in my bathroom last year. 1 wall was really bad so I applied a bonding plaster coat (approx 8mm), then Aquapanel in the immediate bath/shower area (screwed); dot & dab, 12mm SE plasterboard was used on all the other walls. This was finished off with a Multifinish skim before ½ tiling & full tiling over the bath/shower area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back