Dot and Dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any rule of thumb that applies to whether you would use dot and dab to secure plaster board to a block wall, or use timber battens, or not use plaster board at all, and use render? I've got a couple of cracks that I'm confident I can repair with steel mesh, but if using plaster board will mean the cracks are effectively covered for good, then I'm wondering if this would be better than render? :?:

Sponsored Links
spanning a crack with a dabbed sheet of plasterboard is an ideal way of covering up a crack in the wall. i would choose dabbing over battening (where applicable) every time.

quite tricky to monitor the crack though. :eek:

thanks Noseall; when wouldn't it be applicable to use battening?

battening is an ideal way to secure a rigid insulation to a wall prior to boarding, just slot the stuff between the timbers and board over. it is also a way of securing foil backed (duplex) plasterboards to a masonry wall.

if i had a choice though, and apart from the above scenarios, i would dab every time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back