DOT and Dob or plaster back to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are getting our master bedroom re-decorated and the walls are bad.

I don't understand the pros and cons of Dot and Dab over the old plaster or taking this back to the bring then puttting the boards up.

The same applies to the ceiling where he was going to nail the boards to the old ceiling. Will this last or are you better taking the old ceiling down first.

Sponsored Links
i would only take back to brick if the plaster is in bad nick (either lots of cracks or it's loose - hollow sound when knocking). if it's in bad nick then best to remove and either dot & dab or use browning (each has his own preference)

i find most walls to be in reasonably nick ie a few cracks but firmly attached not hollow when tapped. i then just skim to get a good finish. some can't get a good finish buy skimming so have to dab & dot. also some find it quicker to dab & dot (one of my relatives does this but he is still just as good a plasterer). it's possible though if someone wants to dab & dot then they may not be fully trained (ask for pictures of completed work or references).

overboarding ceilings is common practise. taking down makes so much mess. again i only take down if the existing has come loose and is bulging. if not then i skim. others including my relative will board. both have pros & cons. the big downside with overboarding is making sure the nails go into the joists, you probably get a better finish than just skimming though (but who notices when it's painted)

Hi

We are getting our master bedroom re-decorated and the walls are bad.

I don't understand the pros and cons of Dot and Dab over the old plaster or taking this back to the bring then puttting the boards up.

The same applies to the ceiling where he was going to nail the boards to the old ceiling. Will this last or are you better taking the old ceiling down first.

I would screw any plasterboard to wood , rather than nail it.
It is IMHO much easier and cleaner to overboard the ceiling and then skim it (bond out any deviations if needed) rather than pull it down. You could just re skim it if there are no cracks and it is sound. a couple of minor cracks could be scrimmed over if there is no movement.

If the plaster to the walls is sound, you can re-skim -maybe after a tight coat of bonding ,if needed, to straghten it out a bit.

If you dot and dab to plaster, you won't have much of a key - so you will have to fix the boards mechanically after sticking them - with nailable plugs/knock ins.

If hacking off because the exisitng plaster is not sound, make sure the wall is brushed down with wet broom to remove dust before plastering or sticking boards. I would not go hacking off walls for the sake of it ie if it ain't broke etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back