Plastering onto Engineering Bricks in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we need to get a plasterer in to plaster the kitchen but again my Dad has said:

First he he dosent want the plasterers to use plaster board in the kitchen and wanted them to plaster directly onto the bricks.

We had 4 plasterers come around and all of them said they would 'Dot and dab walls with new plasterboard and over tack ceiling.' my dad thinks this will make the walls weaker to hang the kitchen cabinets on.

Is this a genuine issue?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
No.

Perhaps read up on very similar past questions on the search facility?

Is this a genuine issue?

Plaster onto bricks is a more sturdy covering, but if plasterboard is used, so long as any wall units are secured by decent fixings through into the engineering bricks etc, then I'd have thought it is fine.

I suspect you will pay more for a plasterer to float and set it for you rather than board, as it is more labour intensive and requires more skill.

Many so called "plasterers" today can only skim. They wouldn't have the ability to float and set, a brick/block wall, so they "advise" customers to dot and dab,, the easiest, cheapest, and in my opinion,the nastiest way to finish any wall. Your Dad''s right Slinky, if the brickwork is in good condition, no damp etc, then plaster the wall out. Maybe give it a scratch coat of sand and cement first, but it's a far better, stronger way to go than just sticking plasterboard over the bricks,,,,,,, yuk!!

Sponsored Links
Many so called "plasterers" today can only skim. They wouldn't have the ability to float and set, a brick/block wall, so they "advise" customers to dot and dab,, the easiest, cheapest, and in my opinion,the nastiest way to finish any wall. Your Dad''s right Slinky, if the brickwork is in good condition, no damp etc, then plaster the wall out. Maybe give it a scratch coat of sand and cement first, but it's a far better, stronger way to go than just sticking plasterboard over the bricks,,,,,,, yuk!!

So where I can find one of these endangered species ? :)
I have emailed one guy to ask him about it!

Just phone up a plastering contractor and ask "do you do float and set plastering" onto brickwork/blocks. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back