dot & dab foil back boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you get away with dotting and dabbing foil backed boards, or is it a definite no no.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of anyone who has successfully done it....

Dot and dab in long lines imitating joists spaced at regular intervals. When it's dry put a few screws through the board, through the dab and into the wall.

Sponsored Links
A definate no no; you can’t rely on just adhesive, the bond will only as strong as the foil to the back of the board. I’ve used the “through fixing” method after the adhesive has gone off on both Duplex & cement based tile backer boards but I use frame fixings rather than nailable plugs which can disturb the adhesive. You must make sure you fix through the adhesive dabs into the wall & not through fresh air.

Thanks for all your answers . I think i'll give it a go, with plenty of adhesive and screws. Cheers

I think i'll give it a go, with plenty of adhesive and screws. Cheers
You don’t need to go too mad with the adhesive; in this case all it’s doing is holding the boards in place on the wall until you make the mechanical fixing, it’s the screws that will be supporting the boards. ;)

Apply the adhesive in strips, as joe 90 suggests & space the screws at least every 300mm, both horisontally & vertically; don’t mess about with plugs use through (frame) fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back