Double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Recently had full rewire, but would like a minor alteration.

Scenario is, I have a rear extension which has 2 x pull chorded wall lights on opposite walls. There is a master switch (fused) on the middle wall.

The 2 existing wall lights are old fashioned and would like to replace them, however, the choice available are not as good as the un-chorded.

Therefore, I am thinking of replacing the old ones with a pair of un-chorded lights but would also like to keep them independently powered.

This is where my question arises - can I replace the master (fused) switch with a double switch (dimmer) and operate them individually from source or, would I need additional wiring carried out?

Any feedback / further questions much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Master fuse switch?
Do you mean a fuse connection unit, if so where is it taken from, because if a socket circuit, then it is unlikely a dimmer can replace it. But would be possible to take a feed from the FCU to a dimmer.

Master fuse switch?
Do you mean a fuse connection unit, if so where is it taken from, because if a socket circuit, then it is unlikely a dimmer can replace it. But would be possible to take a feed from the FCU to a dimmer.
Thanks for getting back.

Yes, the wall lights are controlled via the switched FCU. I was thinking of replacing the FCU with either a double switch / dimmer to independently control both wall lights. If this would only be possible with additional wiring, then I'll probably just stick with getting 2 x new pull-chord wall lights.

Cheers

The FCU is very likely being used not only as a functional switch for the lights but also to down fuse the current rating for the lighting part of the circuit. So if that is the situation, you cannot replace with a double dimmer or any other type of standard light switch, as doing that will remove the protective device from that part of the circuit.

Sponsored Links
The FCU is very likely being used not only as a functional switch for the lights but also to down fuse the current rating for the lighting part of the circuit. So if that is the situation, you cannot replace with a double dimmer or any other type of standard light switch, as doing that will remove the protective device from that part of the circuit.
Thanks mate, that basically answers my question. I'll have to break the news gently to the Mrs and tell her to forget the new fancy wall lights.

Cheers

It can still be done, but you will need to keep the fcu and installer a dimmer next to it.
Then if you are wanting switch each light separately, you will need to have two sets of switch lines, one for each switch. Which I doubt you have currently!

It can still be done, but you will need to keep the fcu and installer a dimmer next to it.
Then if you are wanting switch each light separately, you will need to have two sets of switch lines, one for each switch. Which I doubt you have currently!
I'll probably just stick with what's there and find 2 new pull-chord lights. No matter how much you plan out a rewire, there's always something after which you didn't consider. Thanks again for the feedback and keeping it safe.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back