Normal light switch in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is it possible to buy a suitable (i dunno maybe waterproof) "normal" light switch to put in my bathroom. I dont like the pull chord that weve currently got and theres no room to put it on a wall outside bathroom within reason. This will have to switch ligts on then independantly the extractor fan.

Many thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
You could get a suitably rated light swith but this will look a bit industrial....

56406GRY.JPG

in that case you will want

5581_l.jpg

one half for light, one half for fan

but whats wrong with a pull cord?

Or you could put a normal switch in zone three, if your bathroom is big enough to have a zone three........

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Or you could put a normal switch in zone three, if your bathroom is big enough to have a zone three........

Apparently not, in the NICEIC technical manual, it says that even though installed within zone 3 it still has to be suitably IP rated, and states that most switches (etc) are not......but before ban jumps in, the NICEIC are not the IEE......

thanks for the replies...

i hate the pull cord things and if i want one for the fan and one for the light thats two of the ugly doodahs... im dont want to spend all the wedge on the bathroom and have one :)

Breezer . thats what im after any ideas on where to get one online or shop ?

Thanks

Phil

Sorry, Ian. I think I feel the same way as ban about the NIC. As far as the regs are concerned, zone three is fine for switches. I don't like the idea of the NIC making up its own rules and insisting members stick to their rules, not the IEE's.

I know that 7671 is only a minimum, as the IEE always tell me, and I often exceed the requirements myself. But this should not be mandatory. It should be up to the individual installer to decide if he wants to exceed the regs, not have some jumped up trade body acting like God. Well, at least more like God than the IEE!!!!!!!!

No offence intended to anyone of a religious nature or indeed to anyone who worships the NIC!

Simon

yes, i am doing a special offer , buy one, get one free, for the "measily" amount of £50.00 my address is........

no seriously they are here (well thats where the picture came from)

other suppliers are available

i would buy 2 if i were you, as after a few thousand presses the plastic does wear, so you will not have trouble getting another becuase you already have a spare

securespark said:
Sorry, Ian. I think I feel the same way as ban about the NIC. As far as the regs are concerned, zone three is fine for switches. I don't like the idea of the NIC making up its own rules and insisting members stick to their rules, not the IEE's.

I know that 7671 is only a minimum, as the IEE always tell me, and I often exceed the requirements myself. But this should not be mandatory. It should be up to the individual installer to decide if he wants to exceed the regs, not have some jumped up trade body acting like God. Well, at least more like God than the IEE!!!!!!!!

No offence intended to anyone of a religious nature or indeed to anyone who worships the NIC!

Simon

I agree with you 100%....but unfortunately I work for a NIC company, and deal with the NIC stuff everyday (inspection & tests etc) and thats what we have to adhere to :cry:

I know you have to adhere to it, but I don't like it. That's what makes me angry. Whatever you think of the regs, they are the regs, written by a cross section of the british electrical industry, then you get a trade body coming along and saying hold it these regs are not up to scratch. we have to do it this way instead.

I think its the tip of the 'berg, and things will get worse. They are control freaks, and I think, nay hope, that it will all backfire. Like speed cameras.
But that's a different story!

Have you thought about installing a PIR to switch on your lights ?
Say, in the ceiling directly as you walk in the door?
( Screwfix have an external pir ( IP66 rated) at 18 quid)

Just a thought.

You can get a "hidden switch" that is suitable for bathrooms...

this

How's about them apples?

another_sparky said:
Have you thought about installing a PIR to switch on your lights ?
Say, in the ceiling directly as you walk in the door?
( Screwfix have an external pir ( IP66 rated) at 18 quid)

Just a thought.

Hours of entertainment playing "can I sit still enough to make the lights turn off" when on the loo! :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back