Wiring Extractor Fan to a normal Double Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just redone all my down lights im now looking at the extractor.

My previous switches in my bathroom are both pull cords , one for the extractor and one for the lights

The extractor does * not * come on with the lights and never has . ( which is fine ! , i tend to just open the window any how )

my question is i wish to replace the pull cord for the extractor with a normal lighting switch ( currently outside the bathroom is a double switch which only the lights are connected to atm ) , currently all the wiring is done at the lights ( not through the switches) .

It looks like on this particular pull cord it uses the pull cord top as a junction box for the Input , output and switching .

I would obviously place all the cables in a junction box and run the switched live accordingly to the lighting switch .

I see a lot of people talking about isolated switches , is it not possible to use a standard light switch to keep in order with the current decorative switches of the house ? or must the switch have a built in fuse ?

Thanks
Luke

Sponsored Links
From viewing the isolated switches it seems all that seems to do is cut power direct to the fan to allow maintenance ( which i assume is what my pull cord does ) . I really should have viewed the terminals before posting this .

So Ideally i could fit a Isolated switch in the loft and still use a lighting switch to control the fans on and off features?

It looks like on this particular pull cord it uses the pull cord top as a junction box for the Input , output and switching .
What do you mean by that?

Normal pull-cord light switches have COM & L1 (or the other labelling variants) or COM, L1 & L2 (or variants) if 2-way, just like wall switches do.

What connections do you have at yours? Photo or a drawing would be useful. If you want to use the site's own photo library provision you'll find the instructions here: //www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

You will need to do all 11 steps.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org

If it's in the bathroom, why don't you link it to the light switch?

Many people have an aversion to ventilation and will not turn on fans or open windows.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by that?

Normal pull-cord light switches have COM & L1 (or the other labelling variants) or COM, L1 & L2 (or variants) if 2-way, just like wall switches do.

What connections do you have at yours? Photo or a drawing would be useful. If you want to use the site's own photo library provision you'll find the instructions here: //www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

You will need to do all 11 steps.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org

From first glance , mind you it was dark .

It looked like the input feed from the lights and output feed all terminated inside the pullcord . I assumed it was some sort of built in junction box , but it was dark ! so they could have just all been joined together with choc blocks . But i imagine its not that important as it would be ripped out anyhow.

The wiring side of this is fine , just wanted to know if i can use a switched live from a normal light switch to operate the fan.

If it's in the bathroom, why don't you link it to the light switch?

Many people have an aversion to ventilation and will not turn on fans or open windows.

Well i want to link it to a light switch , just not the lighting one :mrgreen:
I'm assuming by what i have read , as many people have them turned on with lighting it should be ok for me to do so with a separate switch .

Does the manufacturers' instruction for the ex-fan, state that use of double pole isolation and if the appliance requires down-fusing via a fused connection unit?

If you have now buried cable within the walls for the switch, have you also complied to the permitted safe zones and the likely requirement for RCD protection?

Does the manufacturers' instruction for the ex-fan, state that use of double pole isolation and if the appliance requires down-fusing via a fused connection unit?

If you have now buried cable within the walls for the switch, have you also complied to the permitted safe zones and the likely requirement for RCD protection?

Thanks for the reply , i will check the extractor fans manual ( if i can find one ) , its the original unit that came with the house so will check up on it . All i know is its 230v and not 12v .Its going to be replaced soon so might be a good idea now to get rid .

I have complied with permitted safe zones on the current wiring , and the bathroom lighting circuit is RCD protected .

Luke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back