Double garage door advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace my garage door with an electric one to make it more practical to use (currently locks from the inside so I'd have to walk round the block to open).

At present the door is an up and over door but it doesn't seal to the edges. This is obviously not good for security and warmth in winter. Is it possible to electrify an old up and over door? I'd then need to attach something down the edges to make it impossible to view into the garage.

Failing that what are the pros and cons of up and over doors versus the roller type and the one in 2/3 big rectangles. The garage is 22ft * 16ft so up and over doesn't really take too much space in all. I like the security of the roller type but I guess they cost more?

I already have electricity in the garage so don't need to worry about runnning that down.

Sponsored Links
I'm currently looking into electrifying my garage with remote, and have a canopy door (like you). You can get garage door openers for about £200 or a roller door for about £550-600 at the cheapest.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEAQrQQwAg

However, to adapt the canopy door, I can't really see how it can be very secure. I don't want to manually lock it, as that defeats the object - I need to do more research on this.

Oh, and I would prefer a roller door, but I don't like the idea of having a different garage door to all my neighbours - it's a posh one with windows in the top.

Like you say I think I'm leaning towards a roller door as they will seal %100.

My current one has 3-4CM gaps round the edge which is no good for security.

Fortunately I don't have an issue fitting in with all the neighbours as they are all different styles and sizes and in differing states of repair!

Good luck with your hunt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back