double glazed sah windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sash windows with spiral springs not cords but they are not working ,could any one tell me how to fit new ones,as i manage to buy some but am having difficulty fitting them as they are not exactly the same.
Hope someone can help . Thanks sportyalex

Sponsored Links
Hi,

First thing you need to do is make sure the new springs you bought are for the same weight of sash as the old ones.

The springs come in weight ranges like 20 pounds to 30 pounds, 30lbs to 40lbs..etc.....you can adjust the tension on the springs by using a spring balance tool...this attaches to the bottom of the springs and you pull it out of the round casing and turn it either clockwise or anti clockwise...depending if you need more tension or less...so you get the correct amount of tension(weight) for your sashes to balance.

Fitting them is quite easy...there will be a screw at the top of the spring,which is fixed to your window.....before you remove this screw you need to lift the window up and with the spring balance tool,pull the spring down and twist it so its no longer attached to your sash(if you don't do this,there is a chance of something breaking and flying out under tension,which could be very dangerous...chance of something breaking and hitting you in the eye is small....but why risk it :)....USE BALANCING TOOL TO REDUCE THE TENSION OF THE SPRINGS BEFORE UNDOING ANY SCREWS.

Close the window after doing the above and remove the screw at the top...you might be able to get the old spring out by just pulling it out...if you cant you will have to remove one of the staff beads(molded bead around the inside of your window)IF THE OLD SPRING WONT COME OUT EASILY THE NEW ONE WONT GO BACK WITHOUT YOU BENDING IT,AND THE NEW SPRING WONT WORK IF ITS BENT :)

If you have to remove the staff bead,remember to disengage both springs from the sash with the spring balance tool(which is shaped like the handle which you would raise and lower a car jack...with a hook on the end of it)

Once the sash is out. Attach one of the new springs to the frame(The side where you didn't remove the staff bead) and the other one in the groove of the sash and side the sash back into place.

Fix screw at top of both springs,slide sash up and connect springs to the sash via the metal plates under the sash.

Once both are connected ,its just a matter of balancing the new springs which means attaching balancing tool ,pulling spring out of round tube and turning a few times until your sash is balanced.

Don't forget to put staff bead back again :)

Thank you for this useful information on my sash window springs ,i have done one window right but the second one will not balance ,i wonder weather i have actually bent it slightly putting them in ,as you say bent ones will not work. i shall check this out.I did not have this tool ,but i used a wire coat hanger.I will keep you posted on weather i success.Kind regards Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back