Double glazing colour issue in glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I recently had new double glazing installed but I have noticed 3 of the windows has a rainbow discoloration in the windows. It's mainly visible first thing in the morning. I have informed the window company and they said it is "normal as it’s just the gas adjusting to the temperature". Is this normal or am I being taken for a mug? I have attached a picture but its not that clear, sorry.

Thank you in advance. Also sorry if I put this in the wrong place on the site

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_072030.jpg
    IMG_20210824_072030.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You're in the right place, it's difficult to see what your pointing to here, all I can see is the middle pane and the one to the left of it look very smeared like a contaminated rag has been used to clean them and also the sun beaming through, other than that we need better pictures or some arrows pointing to what and where you mean.

That said there's various phenomenon you can get with glass especially double glazing, there's an effect called 'Brewsters Fringes' that causes a rainbow effect when two pieces of glass are in close proximity, something to do with wavelengths.

I'd like to know what they're talking about when they say it's the gas adjusting itself to the temperature lol, I think they're clueless themselves and are fobbing you off, if the units are argon filled then the gas will have all escaped anyway within 3 years.

There's also a phenomenan only seen on A rated glazed units where the outer pane steams up in the morning, it shows the glass is working as it should not allowing the heat in the house escape through the glass and heat the outer pane, the outer pane has been isolated from the inner hence it's colder and condensation forms on it, here's my own A rated windows in morning dew

IMG_20201013_081909.jpg

Ask yourself how many of your windows face that direction and why is only three windows out of x that show this rainbow if it is the gas (which I dont believe for a second).

Thanks for your comments.
I will have a good clean when I get home and try and retake some better pics, lol.
Yes it was filled with Argon gas, I haven't paid them fully yet, so your input is valued. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Tell them to straighten out this trim piece as well, hopefully its not superglued on

Screenshot_20210824-172026_Samsung Internet.jpg

As for the gas adjusting to the temperature ask them for some literature on that or supply links that you can read on the internet, ask them if its the gas why isn't affecting every pane and the best yet is will they all look normal in 3 years time when the argon has all leaked out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back