Double Glazing Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got Double Glazing in 30months ago. I keep hearing "moaning sounds" or "paper comb" sounds when it is windy. It's driving me nuts as I cannot sleep when this happens. The company just renews the silicon but this only helps for about a month then it's back to the same noise. What could be causing this? And what can I do? I am going off my head!!!

Sponsored Links
I have double glazing which suffers from the same problem. This noise occurs even when the windows are open, and indicates that the problem lies within the frames rather than the glazing units. I have been told that this is caused by the airflow through the frame profiles, which are hollow to allow water tdrain away from them. They do have drainage holes under the cills, and the cavity within the hollow frames creates a resonant box, like a whistle, and when the wind blows across the drain hole, noise is generated, just like blowing across a bottle neck. I'm afraid I can't offer a remedy, but at least if you know how it is caused, it may not drive you nuts! PS don't block the drain holes, if you do water accumulates to the level that it can find a way INSIDE, ie around the glazing gasket. Then you really do have problems!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back