Traffic noise - bedroom sound insulation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our bedrooms face a local but busier through road about 30-40mtrs away which is generally not too bad but with so many folk using badly or un-silenced cars and bikes it can be disturbing.

Two questions please -
- what is the best type of glazing against such noise, we currently have upvc double with a 25mm spacing and 'standard' glass.
Have read about triple glazing, but some say its not as effective as double ?

Being a bedroom with a plasterboard ceiling then the loft with about 30cm of fibreglass type insulation under a tile and felted roof, is there anything we can do, from the loft side, to cut the nosie coming through that way, though hard to tell how much of it does, but when up in the loft it does sound as noisey as when stood outside.

Sponsored Links
- what is the best type of glazing against such noise, we currently have upvc double with a 25mm spacing and 'standard' glass.
Have read about triple glazing, but some say its not as effective as double ?

Same, but probably much less regular problem here, in a 20mph - you have my sympathy.

My understanding is that triple will not make as much difference, as the difference between single and double glazing, but it will be better than double.

Imho adding secondary glazing with as big a gap between the new glass and the current double glazed units is likely to be best. Get decent thickness secondary glazing and ensure the new frame is as close to airtight as possible

Sponsored Links
Imho adding secondary glazing with as big a gap between the new glass and the current double glazed units is likely to be best. Get decent thickness secondary glazing and ensure the new frame is as close to airtight as possible
This is what I did - I only used cheap magnetic fixed glazing (polycarbonate if i remember rightly), but it has made a very big difference to sound transmission.

Thanks all,

Any thoughts about sound insulating the bedroom ceiling from inside the loft ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back