Poor sound insulation - windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I expect this is a common complaint - too much noise coming in through the window.

I have UPVC double glazing, but am not far from a main road so the main bedroom window does not cut out enough of the traffic noise. I would consider secondary glazing, but would prefer not to fit it. My ideal would be to find a UK manufacturer who could supply me a very good noise insulated double or triple glazed window for this room.

Any ideas on who might be able to make a 'special' very efficient noise reduction window (it is a typical up stairs window, nothing unusual)?

I have looked at the usual suspects, but they are reluctant to commit to excellent noise reduction properties and can't do anything out with their norm (I just get the usual spiel about how wonderful they are with this cert. and that cert., but no real knowledge of different pane thicknesses, inert gas filled wider gaps, etc.).

Cost is not an issue (within reason of course) as a quiet bedroom is important to us. Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

Thanks
AJW2

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I expect this is a common complaint - too much noise coming in through the window.

I have UPVC double glazing, but am not far from a main road so the main bedroom window does not cut out enough of the traffic noise. I would consider secondary glazing, but would prefer not to fit it. My ideal would be to find a UK manufacturer who could supply me a very good noise insulated double or triple glazed window for this room.

Any ideas on who might be able to make a 'special' very efficient noise reduction window (it is a typical up stairs window, nothing unusual)?

I have looked at the usual suspects, but they are reluctant to commit to excellent noise reduction properties and can't do anything out with their norm (I just get the usual spiel about how wonderful they are with this cert. and that cert., but no real knowledge of different pane thicknesses, inert gas filled wider gaps, etc.).

Cost is not an issue (within reason of course) as a quiet bedroom is important to us. Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

Thanks
AJW2

I think the doule glazing is not good enough. you should replace the windows

Many thanks windowszhang, I am rapidly coming to that conclusion too. Now trying to find a supplier who can supply good noise insulated windows.
Thanks again

Noise reduction is dependent on two factors.

The first is an effective seal. There should be no air-gaps around the edges of the frames, and the opening sashes must close correctly all the way round.

The second is a large enough gap between the panes of glass. The usual 20mm or so will do a little to reduce noise transmission, but to make a serious difference you need more than 100mm, to allow the sound waves hitting the outside pane to decay before hitting the inside pane.

Sponsored Links
Thanks xerxes, the gap size was a factor I didn't quite realise that the 20-30mm norm is much poorer for noise. Will be seeking out a supplier able to do much a wider gap. The gaskets and frame seals do look/feel OK.
Thanks again

investigate how much of a gap you have between the frame and the wall. It will be hidden with a bit of plastic trim. Windows are often badly fitted, and noise will come through this gap. It is possible to fill it with injected foam, but this is a very sticky job and you will need more advice if you go down that route. It will however save you £5,000 to £10,000 on replacement windows so is worth investigating.

Thanks JohnD,
Makes sense (considering my downstaris windows appear to be better than those upstairs that face the same way). I have just looked from the outside and see that at least one upstairs window has quite a gap above it that has been filled with silicone (about 3 inches as opposed to the 1 inch I see on other windows) so could be packed out from the sides too.
thanks again as it looks like I ma getting somewhere :)

I once lived next to a very busy roundabout and had secondary glazing to combat the noise. This worked very well without double glazing. When I had the DG installed it was even better but the sec glazing made all the difference. There was a gap of 15-20 cm between the DG and SC and you could barely hear any road noise from 3 busy lanes of traffic.

Many thanks Chris,
I am coming to that conclusion now, i.e. secondary glazing appears to be the most effective for both noise reduction and cost.
Thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

Secondary glazing does make a difference, further away from the window the better, best to have it made to measure so it line up against the window if you're fussy like me ;) This secondary glazing is in my bedroom with the net curtain inside
STA72899.jpg

STA72900.jpg

Thanks masona - Looks absolutley fine (have seen some dodgy secondary glazing in my time) and like the idea of having the net or blind in between - didn't occur to me :) . Def. going this route. Thanks again to all who have given their advice.

after reading this thread i think secondary glazing could be the best solution for my bedroom "road noise" issue. however i also have a door to the balcony off my bedrrom which lets in a lot of road noise. presumably fitting another door on the insidde would achieve a similar effect as secondary glazing, but would any particular type of door be most effective here? i just had the existing single glazed metal framed door replaced with pvc double glazed and it hasnt really cut much noise out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back