Triple glazed window - sound insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live next to a main road and opted for triple glazed front windows when I had them replaced 5 years ago. I noticed a remarkable difference compared to my old windows. They provided very good reduction in noise.

However, I’ve noticed this benefit erode over the years and it now feels quite noisy again.

Any suggestions on why this may be happening and how I can address this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Be objective; use a meter to measure sound levels in your house and in your neighbour's double glazed house?

Could be that while the window has remained good, its seal to the building fabric has degraded, or that an opening pane no longer seals well

Sponsored Links
Be objective; use a meter to measure sound levels in your house and in your neighbour's double glazed house?
Noted. My upstairs windows are also triple glazed and the situation is much better there. I appreciate its subjective but more along the lines of what it was when first installed.

Do these panes deteriorate over time? Can they be upgraded without changing the casing?

Noted. My upstairs windows are also triple glazed and the situation is much better there. I appreciate its subjective but more along the lines of what it was when first installed.

Do these panes deteriorate over time? Can they be upgraded without changing the casing?
Double/triple glazed units can fail over time for a number of reasons. Google something like 'triple glazed failed units' and you'll find various articles on the subject. Yes the glazed units can be replaced and the frames retained if they're in good enough condition.

As others have touched on, you'd want to confirm there definitely is an issue with the actual glazed units before you start replacing them, otherwise you might notice little/no improvement afterwards.

Gaskets degrade. This lets in sound as well as cold. Another objective measure is the temperature.

just a thought
greenery and shrubbery absorbs a lot off noise and pollution, is it possible a mixture off heavy pruning and possibly extra road traffic are adding to the problem ???

Upon closer inspection, I’ve noticed that the rubber seal is not wide and snug enough. Not sure how well it can seen in these images but in the centre, there’s almost a 10mm gap between the rubber and the frame. I’m sure this isn’t helping with the noise.

How can this be solved please?

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 55
There can't be a 10mm gap between the rubber and the frame, it's co-extruded so it's bonded on unless you mean the casement rubber isn't pulling tight onto the frame when locked but still 10mm is a lot, you could try turning your cams to maximum compression as they might be set to minimum but even so there isn't 10mm between the two settings, maybe 3mm max

Last edited:
there’s almost a 10mm gap
It looks to me like the rubber meets well at the top? Perhaps it also meets well at the bottom, but that is out of shot.. But it looks like the opening window frame has bowed away from the part it's supposed to meet with in the middle

If you put a straight edge/spirit level etc on the moving part or the fixed part of the window you'll find one of them is bent like a banana.. Yep, that's PVC for you.. The longer the section the more likely it is to bend in the heat of the sun etc

To prevent this windows are usually fitted with a device that stabilises/locks into place at regular intervals along a long run. The plastic frame may also have a metal insert placed inside it at the factory. Wouldn't be the first time that one or the other of these things has been forgotten to be fitted

Here is an example:

image.jpg

See the white/silver thing? When the window closes this pulls the moving and fixed frame together preventing one from bowing away from the other. On the other side of a window something like this may be present along a long run of framework:

image.jpg

On the right is a big silver lump with slots in and a visible screw head. On the other side is a small silver mushroom shape visible against the backdrop of the black rubber seal. The silver mushroom slides into the slots in the big silver thing when the handle is turned. When placed mid run this device clamps the window shut and keeps the frame straight. These are only effective if the mushroom actually slides into the slot; I've had to repair one of my windows where the side was bowed and letting noise in because the frame had pulled away from the opener and the mushroom missed the slot

Neither of these things can be fitted to the sides of a top hung window with long sides unless there is a cable and gearbox system inside the frame like tilt n turn windows have

It's not clear where the handle on your window is, nor where the hinges are. Take some more pictures of the window open, and of any metal or plastic lumps you see screwed to the sides of the window when it's open

Last edited:
I'm now guessing the casement is top hung and quite tall, the closing wedges Robin referred to will help but are fitted between hinges so side hung casements the wedges will go halfway on the vertical, top hung then they'll go on the horizontal

Alas, the wedges I refer to won't help if it's top hung and it's the long sides that are bowed. A pair of side handles and short spag rods that engage with keeps along the sides would but it's quite a bit of engineering and the hinges might get in the way. More pics needed

just a thought
greenery and shrubbery absorbs a lot off noise and pollution, is it possible a mixture off heavy pruning and possibly extra road traffic are adding to the problem ???
There are no discernible changes in this regard. Good point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back