Triple glazed window - sound insulation

It looks to me like the rubber meets well at the top? Perhaps it also meets well at the bottom, but that is out of shot.. But it looks like the opening window frame has bowed away from the part it's supposed to meet with in the middle
Exactly right. This is the issue.

Here are some more pictures, as requested.

From the inside, the bowing can be seen too (along with the air dust) in the middle section of the window.
1701949203672.png

1701949244778.png

1701949278945.png

1701949320170.png

1701949346618.png

1701949376850.png

Please let me know if you require any additional images.

I will await further advice. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Your top hung windows might not compress the seal around the middle- clips that pull in can be fitted if that's true

This always a problem with oversize casements, they look like 1200mm to me and in my experience anything over 1000mm you run the risk

To what extent are you willing to go to resolve this?

Fitting something like crescent locks (the ones you see on sash windows that rotate and tighten up as they turn) would be a quick-to-fit albeit visible solution to pulling the sides in

Removing the opening light, routering a hole in the bottom of the frame and installing a reinforcing bar that bends the frame slightly inwards in the centre would take a lot longer but be an invisible solution

Sponsored Links
To what extent are you willing to go to resolve this?

Fitting something like crescent locks (the ones you see on sash windows that rotate and tighten up as they turn) would be a quick-to-fit albeit visible solution to pulling the sides in

Removing the opening light, routering a hole in the bottom of the frame and installing a reinforcing bar that bends the frame slightly inwards in the centre would take a lot longer but be an invisible solution
I would definitely prefer an invisible solution please.
I need to solve this as it's letting the cold and noise through.
Couple of thoughts based on what I have understood here:
1. Can I use some sort of catch in the middle section which comes into play when the window is closed?
2. Can I use thicker rubber seal in the middle section to close the gap?

The closing wedges are only effective in between the hinges so in this case along the top of the casement but that isn't where the gaps are, now if it was a side hung casement then you'd fit them on the side and they would pull the gap in

I would definitely prefer an invisible solution please.
I need to solve this as it's letting the cold and noise through.
Couple of thoughts based on what I have understood here:
1. Can I use some sort of catch in the middle section which comes into play when the window is closed?
For the invisible solution you really need to mount something inside the frame of the window. As you have it there the opening light is bent, or the frame it closes against is bent. It's quite typical for PVC to suffer this; it's plastic and doesn't have a great deal of structural integrity over long lengths. All it needs to do is bow by a few millimeters in the middle and the sealing gaskets won't meet the frame any more. Quite expected for a long opener secured top and bottom, to bow at the sides. It's possible to get reinforced profile, where there is a metal box section inside the PVC from factory. If you're DIY competent you could fit something after market to achieve the same. Suffice to say, it would be along the lines of finding a metal bar suitable to mount inside the frame, drilling a hole in the bottom so the bar could be inserted, bending the opener so its bulge matches the curve of the frame it seals against, and then securing the metal bar. Not impossible, but not a job for a DIY novice

For the visible solution, look up crescent locks or sash locks:
1702044393818.png

There is a ramped section that can be arranged to pull the frame and opener together where they currently bow apart (this is your query #1)

You can try, but then you have something pushing the frame and opener apart in the same way the existing seal has and over the time it'll likely just bend the opener more, bringing you back to where you are now, with an even more bowed frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back