Double glazing replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advise on how to replace double glazing units, I have approx 20 units that the units seals have failed.

I really would like to try and replace them myself, but was looking for advise on how to get the windows out without breaking the window beading.

I have also heard that you need to use spacers double side foam to insulate?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
Westies2803

Sponsored Links
I find a worn putty knife is the best tool to remove beads. Starting in the middle of the longer side, I open a gap enough to get a rounded-off flat bladed screwdriver in; twisting the screwdriver persuades the bead to pop out. It's not a job I enjoy, though: it's quite easy to burr the bead or the window profile.

I don't understand your question about spacers. Could you expand it?

Cheers for the reply,

I think i'm confusing the topic a bit, The 5mm I mentioned is the space that I have been told to leave when measuring the units width & height.

What I also need is information on where best to source the insulating double sided tape the goes in between the window frame,glass & beads.

Cheers.
Westies2803

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back