Double Glazing Security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where could I purchase glazing security clips as my home has been blessed with beading that can be removed from the outside!

Sponsored Links
Removed the beading? No. My parents were broken into last year whereby their kitchen window was removed cleanly by un-clipping the beading. I fear the same happening to me

Why I ask is that just because a window has external beading it doesn't mean that it can be removed easily. I once went along the internal glazed security window route and the advantage to me was that the window could be installed entirely from the inside, including the glazing. You pay for this feature, as all the ones I have priced have been more expensive than external glazed ones. The one thing I don't like about internal glazing is the way the bead snaps in, you sometimes need a rubber mallet, particularly for small windows where the bead doesn't deflect very much. It is possible to break the glass before you aquire the technique although a window fitter doing it every day will say it's no problem.
The window profile I like is the Synseal external glazed ones. You fit the glazed unit and push it back in the frame while you fit the beads then from the inside you push the glazing unit out against the beads and fit the internal glazing gasket. There is no way the beads from the outside can be removed without destroying them and in my opinion is as secure as an internal beaded one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, out of curiosity following your message, I took a screwdriver and very easily popped the beading out of my kitchen window allowing me to also take out the window. :(
Hence the need for security clips or any other recommended ways to prevent others from doing this.

Bad news then. I think the early windows were not too secure which led to the introduction of the internal glazed ones. It's like at one time some patio doors could be lifted out when closed.
I'm sorry I can't advise about any form of security clips though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back