double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we recently moved into a new home knowing the double glazing needed replacing desperately.......so we went with the best (so we thought!) Unfortunately we've had loads of problems during and since installation and its on-going.........We spent all our savings on the project and cannot afford to spend much more! Advice on what to do as they have been out a few times but basically I am still very unhappy about the quality of the work, and I have a front door which I have trouble opening, a back door letting in a draught and a window that knocks! I am becoming so despondent about all this that I almost want to just give up but the money we spent I tell myself not to! But can anyone advise as I wonder about getting an independent inspection done but the company wont agree to fund this...who do I contact can anyone advise?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What do you class as "best" ? The best is no good if installed badly!

Regarding the issues...
Front door.... Explain more, composite, pvc?
Back door... Hopefully should just be an adjustment.
Window... Repacking and/or adjustment.

Why have the company failed to come back to sort?

Have you paid in full?

What do you class as "best" ? The best is no good if installed badly!

Regarding the issues...
Front door.... Explain more, composite, pvc?
Back door... Hopefully should just be an adjustment.
Window... Repacking and/or adjustment.

Why have the company failed to come back to sort?

Have you paid in full?
Hi The windows are by Everest which since i was a child have always claimed to be the best!
Front door is composite and a lovely door but
I have trouble opening it and have been unable to get in or out twice, after a few people inspecting it I was told that the frame was ill fitting and about a week later they came and refit it, now I can open it but there is a draught and traffic noise! so I fear its not close fitting as it should be.... I have had quite a few people who cannot open it its very tricky and the inside catch is very small making it hard to grab and get leverage.... really unhappy as very expensive
The back door after it was fitted became jammed shut and was out of action for 2 weeks! it was eventually put right and I felt all was fine but with all the winds recently I realise there is a draught coming in from it...I live on the coast and so I get direct wind...
The window was knocking before and they came put right but now knocking again....I would like an independent inspection really as I have no faith in the Everest company nor their staff as their regional installation manager came out to inspect and when he left we found a window missing its gaskets....although they eventually come out its all a bother to me (been going on since early June) and I feel I am just a nuisance to them now and truly wish I had never had them do the work!
Not paid in full as we have finance...I have been onto Barclays too and asked them to contact Everest but they say they cannot insist they do the work only express my views! and so its all very depressing...never thought Id have issues with Everest!

Unfortunately with the big national companies it's hit or miss what type of fitter you get. Some are good some are very very bad, the reviews online are there for all to see. The profile they supply and install, along with the locks, glass etc is on par with any average joe window company, yet their sales patter is there to make you think different!
Hopefully you get it all sorted, next time opt for a small local company where they'll bend over backwards, reputation for them is paramount.

Sponsored Links
Always try to use recommended local company's, That way you have a door to go and bang on if you have a problem rather than phoning a helpline where you get fobbed off.

Just because a company is expensive and can afford to waste millions on advertizing dosent mean they are good or reliable. A bit of Googling would have shown loads of horror story's with all of the big brands.

I expect they will sort it eventually but they wont want to send someone out of their way so they will wait until they have other jobs in the area.

First off I'd check your finance for what recourse you have, Everest now don't care because they have been paid and you now owe the finance company.
If you want an independent inspection then you have to expect to pay for it, if you think about it, if they pay for it then they'll want someone who will side with them no matter how independent they say they are.
Get in touch with the head office, the branches are dictated to by them. Use social media if need be to get their attention it is more powerful than you realise.
Don't give up because there are good companies and bad companies and the bad ones drag down the good, your experience will be a lesson to others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back