New double glazing not as quiet as i hopedplease help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Hi, i hope someone can help me, we have just spent over 12k on new aluminium double glazing, it looks fantastic and the fitters appear to have done a great job.....but after living with it for a few weeks myself and hubby are very dissapointed on the amount of traffic noise filtering through, we live on a busy B road but are about 50ft back off the road, when we had single glazing we knew it was loud but always thought that fitting double glazing would make a real big difference, but it seems to have cut out only a limited amount of low level traffic noise, do you think that this is right??, we do not have a double glazed front door and some of our flooring is stripped floorboards so there are other thing we could do but we do not want to spend any more money if nothing will work, also now that we have noticed it all we do is sit listening to the traffic and it is driving us mad, does anybody have any ideas or were we being unrealistic about the noise reduction. For info we live in a chalet bungalow and the windows facing the road are bays and dormers, any comments gratefully recieved. Thankyou [/b]

Sponsored Links
[Hi, i hope someone can help me, we have just spent over 12k on new aluminium double glazing, it looks fantastic and the fitters appear to have done a great job.

For info we live in a chalet bungalow and the windows facing the road are bays and dormers, any comments gratefully recieved. Thankyou [/b]

I should hope so for £12,000. A bungalow you say?
May I ask what make of window you've had fitted?

Did you explain this problem to the window company before they fitted the windows or like many others did you just assume that double glazing will stop the noise?

You could change the glass units for new units incorporating 10mm thick glass and 6.4mm thick Laminated glass which will help quite a bit.
If you take this route then you only really need to change the units on the noisy side of the house.

The other option is to have secondary glazing fitted but it isn't cheap.

Hi, thanks for your reply, i know that the price appears a bit steep but there are 2 large bay windows and a bay with twin french doors and a variety of dormers, we had quite a few quotes for pvc at around 8k but went for the aly because the profile are slimmer and the finished look was very similar to the original windows but the cost quite a bit higher, we are more than happy with the look, they are Monarch windows, to be honest we did think that they would cut out more noise and did not explore any other options, thanks for your suggestion, i will have a word with the firm and see what they say, hopefully in the summer when the leaves get on the trees that will block some of the noise out.
Again thanks very much for your reply.

The level of percieved sound is going to be subjective, and you may think it a problem, but others not so. So it may well be your expectations

What specification are the units and frame? Is the noise more audiable through the glass, frame or around the frame or opening casements?

Typical 28mm units and thermally broken frames are going to be very similar in sound reduction whatever make they are, so it may be limited in what you can achieve without a better performing unit and frame. But you need to determine if the sound issue is related to specification, or installation

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your comments, to be honest i have looked at paperwork and i cannot see anything like 28mm units, these windows are Monarch Monoframe, as i say they look great so maybe it is my expectations, i think that i will still get hold of the company that supplied and fitted them and ask them if there is anything i can do to improve sound (maybe fit a double glazed front door or add extra insulation somewhere), these are the windows:

http://www.exclusive-products.co.uk/windows/monarch.htm

Thanks again.

The advert says" they reduce external noise."

I'd get a decibal measurement (Environmental Health Officer should oblige) from the outside and from the inside with the windows shut and compare the two.

If what you say is true and its just as loud and you can proove it, get in touch with the Company with your readings.

Could be a case of The Trades Discription Act. Unless they want to settle out of court.

Any pane of glass will reduce external noise, so there is no argument unless actual figures were mentioned.

28mm is a pretty standard thickness nowadays, but there may be thinner units if the gap is filled with something like argon gas to maintain thermal insulation. You should be able to tell by looking at the frame recess.

Fitting a double glazed front door is not going to reduce noise coming through the windows!

If you don't have any documentation, then the FENSA certificate (which you should have a copy of) should state something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back