double gripper rods?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
replacing flooring in bedroom (4x4m with wood floorboards). Going to use treadaire dreamwalk 11mm with standard thickness carpet. When I removed the old carpet there was a double layer of gripper rods which I had to take up to remove floorboards / walls etc. Just wondering if I need to replace with double layer also. Never seen this before, but does seem to be a feature of this house - always been single layer in previous houses I've owned and seemed to be ok.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
double banked gripper is used instead of tri-grip or also known as architectural gripper (gripper almost double size with 3 rows of pins to standard)

Double banking is the best method (last fitter i would say was a high quality installer)

You should double bank gripper on the width of woven carpets. You may also decide to use double banked gripper on rooms over 5meters where to BS you should power stretch.

A lot fitters get rid of bubbles out of carpets but the amount of stretch is not enough. This results in your carpet wearing out and collecting dirt a lot faster than a correctly stretched carpet ( double banked gripper needed to gain extra stretch)

Also to add that 11mm underlay is way to thick and will increase wear of your carpet.

Before you ask "why do they sell it then" its because people its better and simply go for the thicker type as ' thicker means better' or so people, little do they know that it will increase the wear on your carpet and your carpet will also collect dirt faster. However it will be softer !

Hope that helps?

thanks for reply - so I don't technically need double gripper, its just better?
On your point of 11mm underlay, isn't there an arguement that the purpose of carpet is to be soft and trading off softer carpet for a bit of extra wear is acceptable? How many people keep carpet until it wears out anyway these days - fashion changes way before the threads start to show in my experience
Will I get away with single width gripper on room only 4m at its widest with modern carpet?

single gripper for secondary backed carpet and double banked on the width of a woven carpet.

If cheap carpet then the fitter 'may' decide to double bank to stop him damaging the carpet on stretching or just because it needs it .

A good quality fitter will feel the carpet and advise, or should we say will just automatically do the required prep needed for the carpet you purchase.

As for wear, depends on what you want the carpet to do. If your happy with spending £20 sq'm and the carpet looking very tired after 6 months then go with 11mm underlay.

If you spend £20sq'm and you use say a good crumb underlay at maybe 8mm (which is harder under foot for first few weeks) but the carpet is fitted well then it should stay looking good for many more years.

You are the consumer tho so what you want you get. Just don't expect the carpet to stay looking well with a 11mm underlay for a long period of time. If your happy to change every couple of years (it shouldn't be thread bare but pile flattered etc and generally looking cheap and abused) then you do as you like, your paying and your the one looking at it . Do what you think is best and suits you personally.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back