double pole switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help please just bought a plinth heater for kitchen and ins say must be connected through double pole swich ,firstly cant i just connect to a 13amp plug and plug in and if i did wot would happen :eek:

Sponsored Links
It will work via a 13amp plug but if the manufacturer has specified a double pole switch then I suspect they may know what they are asking for.
Of couse you could use a 13amp plug plugged into a double pole switched socket outlet, have you one of those?

no i havnt wot it is the kitchen fitter fitted it and plugged it in on a 13amp socket iread the installation ins and saw the requirements ,what has caused concern is when the fan heater is switched on the thermostat dosent cut out would that be because its not through a double pole switch

no, a double pole switch is there to electricaly isolate what ever is connected to it.

Sponsored Links
so how does a double pole switch differ from an omnipolar switch, which is what is recommended for my new cooker hood?

lyntwyn said:
so how does a double pole switch differ from an omnipolar switch, which is what is recommended for my new cooker hood?

Omni-pole disconnects only one wire, normally this is the live wire in properly wired UK installation. As the neutral is almost the same voltage as the earth it is unlikely in a properly wired installation for the appliance to be dangerous when the only the earth and neutral are connected.

Double pole disconnects both wires, both live and neutral. This is essential where the neutral may not be at the same potential as earth.

I suspect the hood is not of UK manufacture or is intended for use in other countries where the neutral is not garanteed to be at near earth potential.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back