Switch - double pole or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm installing a fused spur switch for a ceiling fan and have bought a switch for the job. Unfortunately i've just read on the installation instructions it needs to be double poled. No where on the switch or the packaging does it say whether it is single or double pole? How do i know? Are all fused spur switches double pole? At the back it has 6 connections, 2 earth, one for live in, one for live out, one for neutral in and one for neutral out. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
At a guess it will be single pole (most are). You could always use a multimeter to verify if this is the case or not though. What you probably want is a fan isolator switch in addition to a (probably unswitched) FCU...

With the connections you describe, that's a double pole switch.

Wotan

Wotan

NOT 100% sure on that. I have seen Single pole switches with Neutral In and Neutral Out terminals for ease of wiring and these then linked internally. Only the LIVE was switched.

Sponsored Links
Whilst it's always worth checking with a meter, or a torch bulb and battery if a multimeter is not available, BS1363-4 defines a 'switched connection unit' as being something which disconnects both 'line and neutral'.

Wotan

NOT 100% sure on that. I have seen Single pole switches with Neutral In and Neutral Out terminals for ease of wiring and these then linked internally. Only the LIVE was switched.
My thinking was....for single pole there would be one live in, one live out, one common neutral, and the two earth connections.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back