Double post please ignore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First a quick thank you to diynot.com for exisitng, my first port of call for any diy issues!

We had our downstairs bathroom refurbed successfully, and had the same fitter back to put a new one in upstair. It is in the centre of the house so no windows. A bath with shower, WC & sink, small in size. The fitter supplied the fan. Electrics done by a registered sparkie. We have an inline extractor fan in the ceiling which vents through the roof eaves. Early in the job I pointed out it did not run on, but just turns on and off with the light switch. I had assumed it would be on a timer (like the one I had specified for downstairs) but I was reassured the fan was so good it would be fine. Now at the end of the job I have read if there are no windows there needs to be a run on?:

http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/Product_options_explained.html

I pointed this out to the fitter who got a bit shirty with me and replied
"The building regs for this are a bit of a grey area. The minimum requirement is 15 litres per second. The fan you have extracts at 68 litres per second. So even without an over run this fan would extract more than twice the minimum requirement including the 15 minute over run".

I have tried reading & re-reading Building Regulations part F to no avail. This thread on IET seems to know what it is on about:

http://www.theiet.org/forums/Forum/...ORUMVIEWTMP=Threaded&catid=205&threadid=38986

and to summarise I think it says if no windows there should (not must?) be an over-run for new builds. If it is not a requirement I think I still would want a timer, and will pay to get one fitted/the fan changed. If it is a requirement the fitter should really sort it though, hence my long post! Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
I have double posted this query and it will not let me delete one - so please ignore this one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back