Double sealed manhole - Water company permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Thames Water? Do they ever allow in any circumstances a double sealed manhole with internal access or is it just a big fat no?

Two rodding access points outside

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've not had any dealings that far south, but in 38 years of consulting with water Co's it has never once been accepted.
Is it definitely a public sewer?

I've not had any dealings that far south, but in 38 years of consulting with water Co's it has never once been accepted.
Is it definitely a public sewer?

Thanks @frutbunn I did a quick pic of existing, (Im no expert so I hope it makes sense). The new extension would come from back of house, so MH1 will stay in situ outside, MH2 will move and MH3 would be inside with a doubleseal (MH serves the rightside bathroom and utility). As it's shared with the neighbour I gather that means it's public.

The previous owner concreted everything in, so I would need to dig up my daughters room, utility and bathroom to move MH3.

Untitled-6.jpg

All of my projects come under TW and based on the information you have provided, they would not accept any internal manholes. Where does the drainage go once it has left MH3, in a straight line to another neighbour?

Sponsored Links
All of my projects come under TW and based on the information you have provided, they would not accept any internal manholes. Where does the drainage go once it has left MH3, in a straight line to another neighbour?

Thanks. M3 then goes under the house, out to the front garden drain and then the main public sewer. Its only shared with one house.

Its a public sewer, so you will not be allowed to build over the IC's. Subject to certain criteria you can build over the line of the sewer, but this will inevitably mean moving the IC's, although this may not be practical in your circumstances.

Its a public sewer, so you will not be allowed to build over the IC's. Subject to certain criteria you can build over the line of the sewer, but this will inevitably mean moving the IC's, although this may not be practical in your circumstances.

This is the proposed, sorry again if it's not great.

Im not sure what my options are. Wouldit make a difference if the right side bathroom was gone, so nothing was using MH3?

Untitled-7.jpg

That is some diversion!!! I don’t think TW would even entertain that. Do you have a block or site plan so we can assess it in a better context?

That is some diversion!!! I don’t think TW would even entertain that. Do you have a block or site plan so we can assess it in a better context?

Does this help?

I feel so stressed out by all of this as BC informed us all was fine and the double seal was not a problem. It was only my googling that has highlighted the issue, the greenlight was given to go ahead. I have now stopped it until a solution is in place, there is no point in sending Thames a plan with a double sealed manhole in the extension as it will be declined. I guess my worry is now that we can't go ahead and getting planning permission, paying BC and everything else has been a complete waste of time. I hope I am wrong and that there is a way forward. I step out of my french doors onto a manhole, and then there is another just along, so there isn't an option to avoid them. Ultimately it's my responsibility, but I don't understand the technical elements of it.

Attachments

• plan5.jpg
    plan5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 208

How would it work then if it has to sit outside the extension? Maybe I have done the disagram incorrectly, but that is where MH2 would be relocated, so it goes around the outside.

What is the distance between the existing side wall of Room-1 and the boundary? Does the neighbour on the right hand side have a manhole just inside their boundary?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back