Manholes and local water companies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leantoo/conservatory at the rear of my property which measure roughly 6m width by 2.7m length. i have lived here for around 10 years and this has been here since owning. however this current build is single breeze with poly twin cell roof and as such we dont use the space as we would like too as the heating and insulation uis poor. in addition due to a poor build it causes damp to the main building. as a result i want to re build it adding 900mm to 3.6 and using cavity walls etc. i have spoken to planning and building regs who said because of my manholes i need to clear it with anglian water...here lies the problem
i have 2 manholes 1 in the sideway as shown on my deeds (by legal bodies at the time of purchase) and one inside the conservatory area, almost centre. the sideway one is just a 90 taking the flow to the front of the house. the nternal one takes my waste and presumably the neightbours.
my 1st call to anglian they informed me they owned 1 ad never mentioned the 2nd. in trying to verify who owns what, they now claimed 2 manholes. we informed them of the deeds and they said some old regs said they can claim manholes under original build ...blah blah blah...we have never received notice of change of ownership
anyhow submitted my plans, in short to extend the property by 900mm basically to improve insulations etc, to anglian, as req. they replied saying no, basicvally because manholes are NOT permitted insuide buildings.
so a) why do builders merchants sell sealled manholes?
b) it exists i'm replacing and improving

i understand that lintels need placing over soils which is why i wrote to them,

does anyone know loopholes and contradiction to their suggestions?

in short it exists I will replace for new and lintel over soils...which are not currently in place (basically improve) to move the manholes outside of the building will require extensive additional works likely adding £2000 and a load of paperwork.

i am a trademans, this is my own home project, so familar with most things
PS speaking to local friends, in the trade and even some recent extension contractors they all seem to have bypassed water companies with similar issues and build regs.
to answer some q's build regs visited and said any building over manholes will req the water company's agreement 1st!

anyone replying firstly thanks....secondly, please only state facts, no name calling of government or supply companies, as much as we all may agree :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back