Double socket back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The backbox on one of my double sockets in the kitchen hasn't been sunk enough into the wall by the kitchen fitters. Whilst this wasn't a problem when there was tiles on the wall, I've removed the tiles and the metal box is a couple of mm proud of the wall.

What they've done is cut back the plaster to fit the box, but there's brick behind the plaster, which is obviously why they only went as far as the plaster.

With the best will in the world, I don't have the energy to try and chisel back the brick to make it flush with the wall - soooooooo I thought about using a shallower back box - the current one is 25mm - but I can't seem to find a shallower 2 gang back box - anyone know if there is such a thing?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t want to try getting the wires in a 16mm !!

If it’s a couple of mmm then chisel the brick off. Otherwise just a metal grinder on the front metal. The box is likely to be held together at the front though so be careful

This is when those 3D printers might come in handy.

Could you take a hack saw to your current box, and hack off the back of the back box?

Sponsored Links
I did wonder about trying to take a wee bit off the front of the box but not really got any suitable tools to do it. Mother wondered if we could try and bend the edge over a bit.

It's looking like I'm going to have to very carefully measure and cut the panelling round the box and then the socket will cover over. Just didn't fancy trying to do that in case I cut it squint or something :confused:

I wouldn’t want to try getting the wires in a 16mm !!

If it’s a couple of mmm then chisel the brick off. Otherwise just a metal grinder on the front metal. The box is likely to be held together at the front though so be careful

There should be no problem with the 16mm box; there's plenty of cable entries in the one shown, and if the existing box is only a few mm protruding, by the time the 16mm box is fitted to the brickwork, overall there should be 23mm or so to fit the socket.

Grinding the old box sounds a disaster.

For a start it would disturb the knockouts, and wreck the existing wall no doubt.

If chiselling out the brickwork is not an option, the 16mm box sounds the next best thing.

You would need longer fixing screws for the faceplate, which are easy to obtain.

Ahhhh, success. I was terrified about measuring and cutting the panelling around the back box in case I buggered it up, but I had one of these inspirational moments. Some black paint applied on the outside lip of the back box, put the panel into place and then pressed over where the box was - perfect guide to cut.

Then came the hard bit - couldn't use the jigsaw because I'd turned the power off, so ended up using a hacksaw blade to cut round - the tips of my fingers will never be the same again.

I just hope the rest of the sockets are not the same.......................
upload_2019-10-13_20-30-38.png

upload_2019-10-13_20-31-22.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back