Double Standpipe

Although washing machines may pump out with some speed, the pressure at which they discharge doesn't appear to be very high. I've been to plenty of DIY installs where they are wondering why it wont work, and first thing I've done is checked they have actually cut the end off the spigot on the trap before attaching the drain hose. (They hadn't....) Makes me wonder how many service callouts they get for this reason....

Cant see as the spigot could bung up otherwise unless the machine wasnt used for long periods. Any debris collecting in the spigot should be washed out again next time the machine pumped out. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Problem with running traps is the length of waste pipe before the trap , this leads to smells which is becoming more and more rife due to the use of extension traps etc etc , bad practice in my opinion , the sanitation inspectors of yester-year would be turning in their graves. :rolleyes:

Separate traps for all my kitchen and utility appliances.

Went a little OCD if I'm honest - didn't even use standard service valves - used levers with ¾" BSP to 15mm end feed fittings for the inlet hoses. :oops:

Have used a couple of HepVo's for the dishwasher and water softener though :LOL:

Love those things.

Sponsored Links
There is an air break - a hole drilled through the end in the slot @ the top :eek: the one under my sink got pushed down to horizontal by a new W/M hose and water came out :oops:

There is an air break - a hole drilled through the end in the slot @ the top :eek: the one under my sink got pushed down to horizontal by a new W/M hose and water came out :oops:

Sorry Nige you're correct, ah well, it's a great fitting then. Made in Scotland by artisans.

Went with the double standpipe as the original diagram and all works well. I even got them pumping out at the same time and all was fine. Waste runs to a gully so smells not a problem.

Cheers all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back