Double switch (2-way) installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me once again? Okay. I have installed a regular lamp in the ceiling with two wires coming out (hot and Neutral) None of them have power becuase there was not light in this section of the room. Now i waned to tap into the nearest switch which is controlling one light already. Now i have opened the switch and come to find it is oviouldy a single switch with hot connected on the left and neutral connected on the right. Now i wanted to replace that switch with a double switch (2-way) so that i can control the light that the single switch was originally controlling and the one i have installed SEPARETLY. I bought a double switch which has two differnt switches and 2 screws on each side of the switch. So my question is how do i wire that up so that i can control both light from that double switch SEPARETLY? Thanks a billion to whom can help....

Sponsored Links
oh one maore thing i might not have mentioned is that the original swicth that i am trying to tap into has only the two wires that are connected to it coming out of the walls. Nothing else, no more wires..

Firstly, if you have only two wires at the switch they must both be live wires - that is, the switch interrupts the live feed to the light. There is no neutral there. You will need to supply your new light with both a switched live and a neutral.

only 2 wires at switch, you need more, you need to connect the "new light" to the existing switch position.

how its done in America i havent a clue, similarly the size of cable you should use, also i do not know if by doing this you will be breaking any local codes. Me being in the UK (as is this site) Personally i cant help that much, BUT I know a site that can help see here

Sponsored Links
Thanks alot, anyone else with any sugggestions? I'm really not familiar with your solution...how do i supply my new light with both a switched live and neutral? HAve any diagrams or a website that has diagrams of as to how i can do this? your help is sooo appreciated!

see the sticky for refernce section, but as i said in America (where it is indicated you are) they probably wire it differently than we do, which is why i gave a link to an American diy forum

Back