Installing a two way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was just wondering how will i go about adding two extra light roses to the ceiling so thay can be swiched separatly. I was thinking of doing this because there is no power source if i brought a bit of flex of a plug into a double switch and bring the neutral wire to the roses and then bring the live wire into the double switch. I have only one live wire from the plug i then need to loop a bit of wire to the next switch. Then bring the live wire out of l1 into rose one then the same on the other switch to rose 2. Then block the neutral in the switch. Can you tell me if iam doing this right if not correct me i have included a paint diagram View media item 9267

Sponsored Links
you dodnot use flex for fixed lighting circuits yoiu use twin and earth

you can see detailed diagrams in the wiki and or sticky in UK electrics

Although one would not normally use flex there is no law against it. Because of change in rules with cables buried in walls Ali-tube cable is more likely to be of use than twin & earth as it does not require RCD protection for the cable.
This is general method used in UK not sure about Ireland! It is all to do with saving cable and type of ceiling roses we use which double as junction boxes. From the way imported light fittings are pre-wired this is not done in other countries.
View media item 9297 The first two are OK but not the third as you are taking two spurs from one socket you could if you wanted include the spurs into ring main or supply one spur from other using two different fuses of course. The third looks OK.
But in all you are leaving it to person using room to switch on fan. This is not normal. Some method is normally used to activate the fan often combined with lights and sometimes fitted with humidity control. In circuit I show there are two line feeds one starts fan with lights the other keeps it running for 15 mins. You can use smaller fans which run 24/7. Don't know about Ireland but in UK we are governed by Part J which tells us how big it is required to be. Think I have that right. Also in UK everything in bathrooms now has to be protected with an RCD.

Sponsored Links
Back