double switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a hallway that has two light switches. The 1st one is a single switch and the 2nd is a double switch. I have purchased a single and a double switch from homebase to replace the old switches.

Single switch layout:
-----------------------

TOP:
-----
COMMON = Red

The Blue and the yellow are loose ( not connected ). There is a black and red connected by a joining device.

Double switch layout:
------------------

TOP:
-----
L2 = Blue
L1 = Yellow
COMMOM = Red

BOTTOM:
-----------
L1 = Black
COMMOM = Red

I know the BOTTOM section of the double switch controls the second light in the hallway as I have tested this.

The issue is, I have tried to swop out the old for the new and got confused, which is not hard for me to do. I then reverted back to the old wiring and now the one light works but the 1st does not. I think there might have been some loose wiring not sure.

The Blue and yellow are a bit confusing as I do not know what they represent. The single switch only had the COMMON connected to it when I unscrewed it. I do not know wether these 2 wires should be connected to the single as well.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

If you require more specific detail, please let me know what you would need.

Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
The Blue and the yellow are loose ( not connected )

They shouldn't be loose, check your single switch and you'll probably see that it has both L1 and L2 terminals as well as a common. The terminal screws were probably not tight and the cables fell out when you took the switch plate off. It happend to me a few months a go.

You will also need to make sure that the new switch plates that you bought are suitable for two way switching. There should be 3 metal terminals in the single gang and 6 in the double gang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back