wiring 2 way down and 1 way up

tired. couldnt be bothered reading it all again. :LOL: problem looked obvious to me.

Sponsored Links
I'll try the combo you've suggested.

The downstairs swich is the new one, and I wrote down how the wire went in to all the holes and put them ove one at at a time.
It was the upstairs that I forgot to write down.

Need to sleep now (work nights) will try it this evening.

All the houses I've lived in have had weird wiring.
One had a switch downstairs that turned the upstairs bathroom light off.

great fun as someone was rushing to pee.

The downstairs swich is the new one, and I wrote down how the wire went in to all the holes and put them ove one at at a time.
I'm afraid you didn't - there is simply no way that it could have worked with the conductors in the terminals you have them now.

Did the terminals in the old switch have the same layout as the new one, or did the back have two rows of three, each row with a C, L1 & L2? If so, what assumption did you make about how they were grouped?

All the houses I've lived in have had weird wiring.
Probably because someone who lived there before you thought that it would be OK to fiddle with something even though they knew they didn't understand how it worked..... ;)

Looked at my piece of paper agan, I think I may have transposed two of the terminals.

Anyway I tried the new combination and it all works as it should and I've put the earth wires on.

Thank you all very much.
Housewiring just gives me brain fog. It's one of those things that just doesn't sink in.

Just one last question.
Why 5 wires for the upstairs switch?
I presuming it's something to do with controlling it independently from the downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Housewiring just gives me brain fog. It's one of those things that just doesn't sink in.
Then in future please get an electrician, lest the consequences of your fog are more serious than no lights for a few days. It is quite possible to do things that seem OK because they work but in reality are dangerous, possibly lethal.

Just one last question.
Why 5 wires for the upstairs switch?
I presuming it's something to do with controlling it independently from the downstairs.
For the third time: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting[/size][/b][/color]

Then in future please get an electrician, lest the consequences of your fog are more serious than no lights for a few days. It is quite possible to do things that seem OK because they work but in reality are dangerous, possibly lethal.
He'll be ok as long as he asks here! :LOL:

imanidiot, please excuse BAS, he gets a little tetchy this time of the month. :cool:

Ok sorry, I read the TWO WAY WIRING.
It said to me "blah blah blah, flibble flibble technomologigal doohicky spangle doobry wotchamacallit boing."

Anyway once agin thank you ALL for your help.

I did however come across an interesting combination before I got your answer in that I could wre the downstairs switch and upstairs so that if you turned on downstairs the down light came on and if you turned it off, the upstairs came on. Great fun.

Ok sorry, I read the TWO WAY WIRING.
It said to me "blah blah blah, flibble flibble technomologigal doohicky spangle doobry wotchamacallit boing."

OK, so you are not able to understand what is a very simple electrical circuit. There is no shame in that, not everyone has a technical mind.

However, that means you should not be making any attempt at all to do anything to your wiring.

Please get an electrician in before you kill yourself/someone else or burn your house down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back