Double to triple glazed

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I have had new upvc double glazed windows installed 3 yrs ago but should have got triple glazed in the bedrooms to keep heat in better.

Can the double panes be replaced with triple glazed panes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Generally double glazing is 28mm thick

triple glazing is usually 36mm or 44mm

its unlikely you can fit triple into frames made for double

Its generally not cold enough in this country to get the full benefit of triple while in Scandinavia its common as muck, triple also adds weight which will premeturely wear hinges, as Ronnie says in a 28mm then save your money as it'll be no different, Ronnie could put the specs through his super computer and give you the U values for each.

Sponsored Links
Its generally not cold enough in this country to get the full benefit of triple while in Scandinavia its common as muck, triple also adds weight which will premeturely wear hinges, as Ronnie says in a 28mm then save your money as it'll be no different, Ronnie could put the specs through his super computer and give you the U values for each.
Do you know percentage wise how much improvement we'd be looking at with triple over double in the UK ? From what I've read, its up to 50% but the data on this is a bit sparse. Also, what kinds of temps are you talking about whereby it becomes more desireable ?
I would imagine that more efficient windows is generally a better thing in an age of fuel instability, comfort, and if you want to run low temp heating systems.

Last edited:
Do you know percentage wise how much improvement we'd be looking at with triple over double in the UK ? From what I've read, its up to 50% but the data on this is a bit sparse. Also, what kinds of temps are you talking about whereby it becomes more desireable ?
I would imagine that more efficient windows is generally a better thing in an age of fuel instability, comfort, and if you want to run low temp heating systems.
triple glazing does have noticeably warmer temperatures on the internal pane which can make a room feel warmer as it reduces that cold draught feeling near the windows, but in terms of overall saving, Id guess the cost saving is not that great -its the law of diminishing returns.

u-value-of-glass.jpg

why have 3 when you can have 4

quattro-window-1.jpg.webp

why have 3 when you can have 4

quattro-window-1.jpg.webp
At 28mm???

If replacing 28mm units or using triple glazing that uses 28mm units the saving will be negligible and certainly not worth the extra cost. Maybe a little if you use 2 Low e panes of glass

Working on the basis of clr/clr/low e ..
U values
28mm .... 1.3
36mm.....1.0
44mm..... 0 8

Pilk optitherm s1 plus/clr/ optirherm s1 plus
U values

28mm ... 0.9
36mm.... 0 7
44mm ...0.5
Bear in mind optitherm s1 plus is NOT a std Low e glass and would have to be specified and will cost more

Quadruple glazed

Clr/clr/clr / optitherm s1 plus

34mm .... 1.2
40mm.... 1.0
46mm..... 0.9

All units would include Argon and warm edge spacer

Personally the extra cost of the extra glass and special glasses to achieve these values isn't worth it when you consider a clr 4 /20 /softcoat Low e ( which is pretty std glass units these days) , gives a U value of 1.2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back