doweling boards together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've used a doweling jig to join 3 pieces of 6x1 together to try and make one single board. I've tried it twice now and each time the joined pieces form a curved single board. Not a massive curve but it certainly isn't as flat as I had hoped.
Is this always likely to happen or am I doing something wrong?

Sponsored Links
I would rather biscuit than dowel - but I think it could be clamping that is your problem, especially if your edges are straight and true.

3 x 6" planks will need some serious clamping to keep them straight and true. Clamping to keep the width together and to keep them flat.

2 sash clamps across the width, and some battens with G clamps to keep them flat.

HTH

Hi and thanks.
The boards are curved before I clamp.
Battens and G clamps sound a good idea to keep things flat.

I thought this might be a cheaper option than buying wider boards. I'll use more clamps and see what happens.

you need to alternate the boards,from the end of each board look which way the gain is going,so for example the 2 outside boards go 1 way and the middle board goes the opposite way.

then as above making sure when you tighten the clamps doesnt make the boards cup.use a straight edge or a level to make sure,then use a couple of clamps on the top to make sure its held.

also as above i too would be use biscuits.

Sponsored Links
i thought i told you about batons solo claps and sash clamps and clamping blocks some time ago barcud :D :D ;)

If the boards are warped/twisted/cupped before you start, no amount of clamping (unless you have a steam box) will get the resulting board truly flat.

The boards should be 'thicknessed' first, but you could deal with the lumps and bumps once they are all joined together, it can be done with a hand plane, but it is a bit of an art.

YouTube is your friend, there are a number of good vids explaining this kind of thing.

i use a 4" belt sander to smooth out the lumps :D ;)
if the board are bad rip them down the middle cup up
then mate the the two cut faces one up and one down

Hi all, lots of useful info again, many thanks.

I'm using the boards together to make a small corner shelf unit.

That ebook is really good. I see old furniture and sometimes I think how in the heck did they do that! Some really nice old furniture around.

Hand made furniture made from hand tools alone is a rarity these days and the people who appreciate it seem to be like hens teeth.

Seen a guy a few weeks ago with this stunning oak framed glass cabinet he inherited from his parents and he said he was gonna dump it as he had no room in his home.
People are so wasteful.

Hand made furniture are works of art. I wonder if eventually all these skills will disappear?
I could quite happily fill my house with old hand made furniture. A couple of high back chairs caught my eye last week but I resisted buying them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back