Biscuits,dowels glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Say you had 3 - 4x1" 's to glue together, as a beginner what method would be most likely to be accurate, a dowel jig and dowels, or a 1/4" router biscuit bit and biscuits?

It would be for cabinet sides so maybe just glue would be enough and rely on the top, bottom and shelf pieces to provide rigidity?

Sponsored Links
You can buy ready glued pine panels from the various sheds....ready sanded and completely flat. By making your own, you have to be prepared for a good bit of sanding afterwards if your timber isn't dead flat to start with.
John :)

i only use dowels as that suits my setup
you will need a minimum 4 [preferably 12+]clamps and batons to hold the timber in line and square
i have 25 x6" solo type clamps and 15x4" and a dozen or so "G" clamps
you will also need 3-6 sash type clamps

timba/timber type made up boards can be very handy but can be a bit wasteful but balance that up against not having enough clamps can be very handy
for example gluing together say a 36x18" board would require 6 0r 8 solo clamps and batons
3 or 4 2ft+ sash clamps and 6 or 8 clamping blocks

clamping blocks are offcuts off planed wood from say 2x1"[20x44mm] 3-5" in length
batons will be 6"+
on the above example a minimum 17" but any length you can handle
any timber used will be damaged by the clamps
if you need to use good timber as a baton use paper on the glue area between the good timber and glue area and clamping blocks between clamp head and good timber

Sponsored Links
as i suspect you dont have that many clamps??as above :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

then this could be a situation where the gorilla glue comes into its own.DO NOT BUY THE 5 MIN STUFF(iirc its red) even i had trouble using it :oops: :LOL:
the 1/2 hr stuff is what you want.DO read the instructions.OH and dont get the stuff on your hands :rolleyes:

oh and if you want to add to your tool collection then buy a biscuit jointer,your be surprised how much a dedicated tool for the job makes it really easy.i personally never bother to use my router with the bit,i just use the jointer.

and make sure you alternate the pieces of timber so the grain doesnt all go the same way because this can lead to cupping.

thanks all for the info.

I will check out ready glued panels and prices.

I thought glueing 3 pieces of 4x1's and using either dowels or biscuits I might get away with using 2 x 18" clamps? Along with a couple of battens to keep things square? What do you think?

A biscuit jointer? I got to put a router as priority along with a couple more clamps.

18" clamps will glue 16 1/4" with blocks

the batons keep things flat
measuring the diagonals keep it as square as possible :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back