Down lighter alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have 12v downlighters in my kitchen. The are halogen and hot to touch. Currently I am running 12v 50w bulbs. Is there an alternative to these bulbs as I don't really want to have to change the fittings.

It can get quite dark in there so we are reliable on having the lights on quite early in the evenings etc.

I have had a few transformers replaced recently as they are probably coming to the end of there lives.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have 12v downlighters in my kitchen. The are halogen and hot to touch. Currently I am running 12v 50w bulbs. Is there an alternative to these bulbs as I don't really want to have to change the fittings.

It can get quite dark in there so we are reliable on having the lights on quite early in the evenings etc.

I have had a few transformers replaced recently as they are probably coming to the end of there lives.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi there, I think you should try moving to LED for your fittings. I had a load of MR16 fittings in my hall way so I was burning 50w per bulb, it is a lot when you think about it. I have moved on to 4w PHILIPS LED lamps and I haven't been happier !

I really do recommend this.

Up to about a month ago I would say likely you will need to change the transformer which is not really a transformer but an inverter and has minimum as well as maximum output.

However it seems from a trade report that Philips has got around the problem and likely other will follow.

However can't remember where I read it to give link. The first thing is to read what it says on the transformer if it just says 100KVA then likely you can use any lamp but if it says 50 - 100KVA then the LED lamps would not draw enough current so the transformer - inverter will shut down.

I can't remember if all Philips lamps have this technology or if it has to be a special type.

If it was me Philips are so expensive I would convert to low voltage and use the GU10 there is no need for extra low voltage in a kitchen specially when you are using LED. The whole idea of the transformer - inverter was to give a very accurate voltage to the quartz lamp but does not need to be that accurate with an LED lamp.

To admin:- Sorry to name Philips but it would seem they have something special which other manufactures have not got. Unless you know of some others and I would be interested to find out if other have followed their lead.

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware it's just Philips that have the magic transformer technology.

I posted a link in another thread to their brochure that kind of explained it, but it didnt do a very good job of it.

I exclusively use Philips LED's, they do cost a little more, but you get around the transformer problem, and IMO, they look better when off than most other lamps (a bit of a strange pro but it's definitely a con if a lamp looks gash)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back