Bulb Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, at last most of my house electrical work is done, and now looking at getting some spare bulbs to keep for replacing blown ones.

Seem to find cheap ones don't last long, so was thinking of some quality bulbs.

Was looking for some advice on good makes.

Got Halogen 12V 50W in the bathroom
Halogen 230V 50W in kitchen and living room
Halogen 230V 35W in bedroom.

Any advice will be great.

Cheers
Will

Sponsored Links
buy some CFLs

I like the large globe ones if they are going to be visible. They are rather expensive so keep the receipt, and write date of installation on the neck (most of mine are Phillips and last 5 years or so, but a GE one recently failed after 3 months)

Stick CFLs are practically free now. Buy one or two of your chosen brand to check you are happy with the colour temp and speed of warmup (they vary)

p.s. beware of tedious electricians telling you that "bulbs" go in the garden to produce tulips and daffodils, and what you want are "Lamps".

In my opinion there is no substitute for 100watt + tungstone filliment lamps, they have served us well, why should the EU dictate to us what lamps we can buy?

These CFL replacement lamps are rubbish by comparison, light output
is no where near as stated, and slow warm up.

Cheers guys.

But CCFL will look right out of place in my kitchen lights, as they have GU10's in at the moment.

The bathroom 12V ones go into downlighters :)

Sponsored Links
Stick with quality branded lamps such as osram or sylvania.

I have found crompton lamps to be very poor these days

Hello All,
Has anybody fitted this type of bulb

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GULED5W.html

Would they be an option for wcavanagh's Kitchen lights ?

I have just ordered a few (7) for a customer to fit his existing fittings. They are installed in a hallway/ corridor, and I am having second thoughts on how they will perform. If they are not up to scratch they will be returned and replaced with Sylvania's :oops:

Regards
Ed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back