Down pipe to nowhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, when looking at the rear of the semi detached house from the garden, there is a down pipe from the gutter which stops about a foot and a half from the floor. That exact corner is where subsidence occurred a couple of decades ago, so I know the discharge of water to the floor in that spot is really not a good idea.
The adjoining house does not have a downpipe at the same place, so would I be right in thinking that as the house tilted slightly to the left, the water stopped running along the gutter to the right (towards the down pipe connected to the drain)? Could this be solved by just adjusting the existing gutters so they angle more to enable the water to flow to the right? Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Hi, it's a rental so unfortunately I'm not in the property to get those pics at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Hi
If there is an open downpipe, water will run down at during heavy rainfall regardless of which way the gutter falls. You can either replace the outlet with a section of gutter, provided the gutter falls away from this existing outlet and there are sufficient downpipes elsewhere, or replace the downpipe with a new one that runs to a surface water drain or correctly installed soakaway.
Regards
Colin Evans
PBSL Group

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back