Down pipe

Can we assume, (rightly or wrongly), you don't really get on with them?
If you don't then it makes it harder to approach them about rectifying it. My thoughts are, if they really want that downspout to empty on to their property they could put a swept elbow in but carry the original pipe line down to the lower SVP.
Technically it would still be wrong because your svp should be high than your gutter height but it's a sort of compromise.
Your, (short length), svp is currently breaking the rules and you may find in warm weather you may be able to smell the drains because the opening is so low down.
It's very easy for people on a forum to say, "Go and demand they put it back", but in reality life is rarely that simple.
As a solution you could get someone in to extend the svp back up to its correct height with a swan neck to go around the gutter.
I actually do talk to them.. before it all happened there was a 6ft fence they asked if they could build of course I said yes.. why wouldn’t I.. I did say put the fence back how it was when finished as I paid for it.. yeah yeah we will which was a lie as the wall is there now… ok I’ll live with it.. then while away they took the pip from the down pipe and as you can see done what they have… I asked them to put it back the answer was can’t the down pipe drain is broken so it’s staying put but we will tidy it all up once the house is built so now I’m at the point of ignoring it now lol

Sponsored Links
I actually do talk to them.. before it all happened there was a 6ft fence they asked if they could build of course I said yes.. why wouldn’t I.. I did say put the fence back how it was when finished as I paid for it.. yeah yeah we will which was a lie as the wall is there now… ok I’ll live with it.. then while away they took the pip from the down pipe and as you can see done what they have… I asked them to put it back the answer was can’t the down pipe drain is broken so it’s staying put but we will tidy it all up once the house is built so now I’m at the point of ignoring it now lol
Thank you very much for your help

Yeah! the only reason I could see for them moving the downpipe is because they have encroached on your side and have smashed the drain in digging the footings.

Yes they have the drain pipe under ground they have broken apparently he told me the other day now exstension is built

Sponsored Links
If the drain is broken where is the water now going?
It looks like it is being discharged on the OP's side as it comes off the small roof into the gutter.

I take it that the existing downpipe that is no longer connected at the top seen in the pictures goes into this drain that is now broken?

If they have broken the drain pipe then this AFAIK is reportable to your water company as it is a shared pipe, you have had your ability to dispose of excess rainwater taken away from you. I suspect they also did not get a build over agreement from the water company?

You could tell them to either fix it or you will dob them in and it will cost them dearly.

Yes it’s all connected to the guttering on his exstension and to a small down pipe off his exstension the guttering in the pic is already collapsing because it’s unable to hold all the water.. tried to say but not interested …

Yes it’s all connected to the guttering on his exstension and to a small down pipe off his exstension the guttering in the pic is already collapsing because it’s unable to hold all the water.. tried to say but not interested …

Get the council and water company involved, let them sort things out - it's not your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back