Down spots either side of log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking in having 2x down spots either side of a log burner which will be recessed into a fire box of a chimney, obvious the spots would be fixed into the plate at the top of the box but as we well know it’s hot so there must be a certain kind of downspots I can use if indeed I can ?

Help please

Sponsored Links
12v 10w MR16 halogen lamps, with the SELV transformer mounted somewhere well away from the heat and accessible.

Or, as I have done, just a couple of 12v 10w halogen capsule lamps dangling out the side of the plate works just fine (low voltage on a selv transformer). I used silicone insulated cable which is rated to operate in ambient temperatures of 150 degrees Celsius, which is overkill

Fibre optics could bring light from a lamp ( light source ) in a cool place to the hot environment either side of the log burner.

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit messy in pictures but you can't see them normally as they're behind the brick arch over the fireplace. Just to reiterate, it's on an extra low voltage transformer (12v), it would not be safe like this at mains voltage. The lamp holder is ceramic, all the cable is silicone insulated, the red terminal block is heat resistant stuff and halogen lamps naturally are more resilient to being in a hot environment than LED would be. Halogen has a near perfect CRI (colour rendering index) too and a warm colour which really makes the brickwork stand out

IMG_20190327_094550-1-1.jpg 20180403_222248(1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_094702-1.jpg
    IMG_20190327_094702-1.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 97

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back