Log burner help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there!.
I am wanting to install a log burner, I have chosen an 8kw burner, and was hoping to install myself. (i have a roofer willing to go "up top" and put in the top plate/clamp flexi flue and new chimney pot)

I understand most of the regulations, and have read the manual thing from the council ([part J i believe?) however, im a little slow :LOL: and could use some clarification please!.

We have removed the gas fire, and enlarge the hole it used to sit in!, This is now open with an opening of width of 635mm and hight of 680mm (but not inside fire, this is only to the tiles measured on the outside!)

I understand that to comply with building regs, i need a hearth size to add 150mm on each side of the width of my burner, the burner would be 400mm (meaning hearth size of 700mm?), and obviously my opening is not capable if housing this size hearth!

so coming to my question!, would the extra 65mm im missing matter? as the burner would be sat next to two non-combustible walls? or is it set in stone that it must be 150mm each side? or is this 150mm only each side of the opening of the burner? (as in the front of the burner needs 300mm in front, and then 150mm each side of that 300mm) (sorry im so confusing! well done if your keeping up!)

right the next question!

Is there any regulations in regards to the height of the unit? or can teh top of the log burner be all that can be seen (for example, seeing no ridged flue? and then obviously there would be the ridged flue and registry plate futher up the chimney!) but i dont really want to open up the height of my chimney any futher (the lintel is more or less right above where i opened up to!) :cry:

anything iv missed?

phew.

Sponsored Links
just read this

Building Regulations Approved Document J, Pages 37- 39, Diagrams 24-27.

If the stove is placed on a combustible floor, the stove should always be installed on a non-combustible hearth. The hearth should extend 225mm in front of the stove and 150 mm to each side.

Distance of stove to adjacent walls, combustible, non-combustible:

The CE plate on the rear of the stove indicates the minimum distance to combustible surfaces to the back, sides, and to the front of the stove.

There is no requirement for minimum clearance to non-combustible surfaces around the sides and back of the stove. However, 80mm is recommended if possible to allow for air movement and heat from the stove to enter the room. The further the stove is into the room, the more heat distribution there will be into the room.
Refer to Diagram 30, Page 42 of Document J for further installation dimensions and requirements for non-combustible wall thickness etc.

Briefly:
· There must be a minimum gap of at least 450mm (18'’) between any stove and any combustible material e.g. curtains, furniture.
· If the stove is placed within 300mm of a wall, and sits on a hearth abutting a wall, then the wall must be non-combustible (usually brickwork or stone) to minimum heights of 300mm above the appliance and 1.2m above the hearth.
· There is a minimum gap required between an un-insulated flue pipe and other material. To a combustible material it must be at least 3 x the outside diameter of the flue pipe (450mm for 6” single wall flue pipe). To a non-combustible shield it must be at least 1.5 x the flue diameter (225mm for 6” single wall flue pipe).

so i assume my assumptions where correct?
In that if my burner is to sit "in the hole" there is no need for clearance either side of the stove as the walls are non combustible? there would ofcourse be 4" either side to allow for air movement/heat escape?

Sponsored Links
A DIY stove install is notifyable building work & you should submit a building notice; LABC will want to inspect & witness tests before they will issue a certificate of compliance on completion which you will need in future. IMO you’d do better to employ an independent (not stove store) HETAS registered installer, you can still do your own building work as long as he is happy with that. For the £400 or so it will cost you, he will install & insulate the flue liner, fit the register plates, cowl, install & test the stove, fit the notice plate & issue you with a certificate of compliance; job done.

Several threads on installing stoves in the archive & you would do well to search & read them. Don’t forget you will also need a permanently open air vent in the room (but the Regs changed in October) & don’t use Gypsum plaster or plasterboard around the fire, it will crack & fall off.

You may also find this link useful;
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back