Downlight close to joist

I am a bit drunk now so I post something, 15 x 50w = 750w right?

I would be concerned that the lighting circuit could be overloaded depending on exactly how it is wired. So ever mind the joist, what about the poor lighting circuit designed for perhaps a few 100w bulbs?

Sponsored Links
When your head has cleared, Think about the lighting circuit breaker in the consumer unit and what it is for.

I am a bit drunk now so I post something, 15 x 50w = 750w right?

I would be concerned that the lighting circuit could be overloaded depending on exactly how it is wired. So ever mind the joist, what about the poor lighting circuit designed for perhaps a few 100w bulbs?

The total load is still well within the limitations of a domestic lighting circuit, so no need for concern.

Are the lamps aluminised reflector lamps which reflect light and heat downwards and away from the fitting?
Out of interest, do your downlighters display any of these symbols?

F.jpg

Sponsored Links
The total load is still well within the limitations of a domestic lighting circuit, so no need for concern.
But the heat of an incorrectly installed 50 watt lamp is a cause for concern. It can ignite inflammable material ( such as a joist ) without overloading the electrics. Dried out and over heated joists can smoulder unseen for days before the smoke is enough to trigger a smoke alarm. But by then the joist is ready to burst into flames. Pull up a floor board to locate the source of smoke and the fresh air with lots of oxygen allows the joist to ignite rapidly.

Doesn't happen very often. But once per family is enough.

But the heat of an incorrectly installed 50 watt lamp is a cause for concern. It can ignite inflammable material ( such as a joist ) without overloading the electrics. Dried out and over heated joists can smoulder unseen for days before the smoke is enough to trigger a smoke alarm. But by then the joist is ready to burst into flames. Pull up a floor board to locate the source of smoke and the fresh air with lots of oxygen allows the joist to ignite rapidly.

Doesn't happen very often. But once per family is enough.

I was responding to the comment that the circuit would be overloaded because the load was 750 watts, not the positioning of the fittings. I'm aware as to why these types of fittings have to be installed correctly and comply with manufacturers instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back