Downlighters/Fire protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've had new downlighters fitted in the sitting room and kitchen. They are mains voltage recessed ones and have 50W GU12 bulbs in them.

The ceilings were lowered because the joists were really bent and dipped in parts so the new ceilings are in parts up to 2.5 inches lower than they originally were. We are on the top floor and are thinking of having chipboard flooring laid in the loft. However, I've heard that you can't cover the downlighters as they can cause a fire.

Is there any way in which we can lay floors in the loft (e.g. using fire cones or making a small box out of plasterboard)? Being loft joists they aren't very big and are probably about 5 inches high which will be the distance between the downlighters and the chipboard floors.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fire hoods do not stop downlights setting fire to things. Their purpose is to stop the spread of fire through a fire resistant (usually plasterboard) celing

Look at the leaflet that came with the downlights. It will state the min distance from the top of the lamp to the underside of the floor.
If its not enough, screw a length of 2x2 batten (eg) on top of all your joists to make the distance bigger then lay your floor.
Me, I like to leave clear air above the lights - does wonders for lamp life.

PS if there's any terminal blocks up in the loft, dont cover them over with flooring unless you make an access piece.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
PS if there's any terminal blocks up in the loft, dont cover them over with flooring unless you make an access piece.

The simplist way is not to fix the junction box and leave enough slack on the feed cable so it can be pulled back through the light hole for future inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back