Downlight / Joists Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm confused about the safe proximity of downlights to joists.

I have bought these to replace old fading brass downlights - http://www.screwfix.com/p/robus-adjustable-round-low-voltage-downlight-brushed-chrome-12v/71123. They're the 12V 50W type with transformers.

Having removed the old downlights in my living room, I've noticed that several of the holes and right next to the joists in the ceiling.

The instructions in the downlight says "Suitable for mounting on normally flammable surface". However, it also says "Ensure there is at least 100mm of free space around luminaire".

So now, I'm not sure whether mounting the light next to the joists is safe?

Sponsored Links
in a word - NO

I've seen the damage that a halogen light next to a joist can do - scorching, burning....

You''ll need to relocate and make good the old holes, sorry

BUT be happy in the knowledge that you've made a huge improvement and are a much better electrician than the plonker who put them in in the first place

OK - thanks - I thought that would be the answer - I'll get on filling those holes then! Thanks again.

Hi - before I starting a major filling session (8 holes!) are there different down-lights available that could be placed right next to the joists?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Contrary to popular belief, LED's still do get pretty warm. And what happens when they get changed back to halogens?

I think you'll find all halogens have the distance from joist proviso

Surely not every single light is bang on a joist??? Terrible planning by previous spark...

OK, thanks I thought so and agree that it's best to make them safe for the future anyway.

Could I replace them with LEDs for a few months? I'm having some building work done after Christmas which will need a plasterer to come in. We're thinking of getting him to skim the living room ceiling (cover up the artex) whilst he's there, so I could get him to fill the holes too. Or would you not risk that?

Eight out of the fourteen are too close to the joists! This is just one of many dangerous blunders by the previous owners of this house.

remove the lamps(bulbs) from the 8 out of the 14 that are non compliant and use another plug in lighting source. you may find that to move the non compliant ones could be difficult as there could not be enough on the cable and the new holes may eclipse the "filled hole" do you have access from above?

OK, thanks. Access from above - not really - short of taking the floor boards up (new carpet upstairs, so that wouldn't win me any friends at home).

to be fair, if you really do have the opportunity to employ a plasterer and you can afford to replan your lighting, remove all the downlighters and consider a more effective and economic system to light your area. There are a considerable number of ways such as PL fittings or esthestic fluorescent tube fittings

Thanks - that sounds like the best plan - I think LEDs are the way to go for this room. I will just get the offending holes filled when he applies the skim and cut out new holes where possible. 14 lights in the room is probably overkill anyway, so I could afford to lose 3 or 4.

However, for the next 3 months I need to find a solution.

I can either disconnect the offending lamps or apply a short-term measure - are there any bulbs at all on the market that ARE safe to mount next to a joist - for a few months.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back