Downlight close to joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just installed 15 downlights (50w) in my kitchen. Some of them are very close the the joist i.e. the downlight casing is right next to it , although the light does not touch the joist. The instruciton manual says I must maintain 100mm gap between unsulation but does not mention joists at all. However Im now not sure if what I have fittted is safe?

Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links
He said I should ask on this website.

I felt the heat coming from the lights - although the actual lights get very hot i can easily hold my hand next to the light fitting and feel hardly any heat at all so Im pretty sure its not going to set a joist on fire

However Im now not sure if what I have fittted is safe?
Then you're unsure if what you have done is legal or illegal.

Why on earth are you doing work if you're not sure you can do it safely and without breaking the law?

Sponsored Links
Well you know sometimes I like to take a chance in life and live on the edge...plus I fitted them to the manufacturers instructions

Most recessed lights come with installation instructions that clearly state the MINIMUM distances of clearance around recessed lights.

I have seen too many charred timbers from lights that have been installed too close to joists etc.

Wood is combustible. Your kitchen lights will be on A LOT. The wood will dry out.

One day, who knows.....

What's above the kitchen, your child's bedroom? :rolleyes:

Many Thanks Taylor - good to see some people can be helpful.

The instructions def only mention a 100mm gap from insulation and a 0.5m gap below the light - nothing about joists or wood, however I do think have no choice but to move them now

Instead of moving them I will stick LED's in there. They shoudl be fine as they dont give off much heat.

Instead of moving them I will stick LED's in there. They shoudl be fine as they dont give off much heat.

This is a good option, and long term pays dividends. Another option, which may help you comply with fitting instructions is to fix non-combustible material to the side of the joist.

The new owner should fit the new lights to the manufacturers instructions.

How will that work then ?

I don't know, I haven't got the fitting instructions for the lights that may be installed in the future,, but regulations change, lamp design change.

For example there was a time when it was an option to buy these lamps with or without a glass front, but not any more. They now also have reflectors within the lamp to throw the heat down and away from the fitting, plus canisters behind to dissipate heat.

We don't know what the future holds,, other than manufacturers want to sell their products, and if building/electrical regs become an issue, they have a habit of designing products to overcome such issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back