Downlight for MDF Light Canopy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have bought a bathroom from MFI which includes a light canopy. Its basically a piece of MDF which goes across the top of two wall cupboards. There is about 700mm between the cupboards.
We decided not to buy the lights from MFI as we wanted to more choice.

After deciding on a 3 downlight system I was going to drill the holes in the light canopy ready for the lights and hit 2 snags in the instructions:
1. Don't fit into wood.
2. Each light must be at least 300mm apart.

I am thinking we probably won't be able to fit more than 2 lights in the canopy now, which is fine. But where can I buy downlights that are suitable for installation in MDF?

Cheers,
Ian

Sponsored Links
LED or LE will run cooler, and are likely to be more suitable since the heat is the biggest issue.

Have a look for these symbols on your chosen light fitting

F.jpg

The top one would be suitable for your needs, the bottom one wouldn't.
If a fitting isn't marked with either then assume it's not suitable for mounting in or on flammable surfaces.

Thanks GaryMo - I'll look for that symbol
:LOL:

I wish websites like B&Q would put this infomation on their website.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I still haven't found a light :(
I went into a local electrical supplier this morning (WF Electrical) and asked if they had anything suitable. They suggested I used Fire Rated Downlighters.
They did some compact ones, which is good, because most of the single fire rated ones I have found are huge.

They also said they needed to be IP65. The lights will be in zone 3 as they are quite a bit higher then the bathroom sink. Is this correct?

I went into a local electrical supplier this morning (WF Electrical) and asked if they had anything suitable. They suggested I used Fire Rated Downlighters.

Jesus Christ. Did they say why? Here's one for you. Fire rated fittings are more likely to set fire than non-fire rated ones. Oh, and they will have the effect of heating up your wooden fixtures, rather than keeping them cooler. And they cost you more.

Jesus Christ. Did they say why? Here's one for you. Fire rated fittings are more likely to set fire than non-fire rated ones. Oh, and they will have the effect of heating up your wooden fixtures, rather than keeping them cooler. And they cost you more.

Well I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that no one really knows what I can safely put into a light canopy / cornice. The cornice came from MFI & the light they sell is here - http://www.mfibathrooms.co.uk/zpage...tnr/MFADLFC/zdesc/fungo-down-light-chrome.htm

I thought at the time that it would be easy to find an alternative light as I wasn't sure I really liked the one MFI were selling,

Like Gary says, you need "F" marked fittings.

There are 2 issues here: heat & moisture: you need fittings that can be safely installed into/onto a combustible surface and also be suited to the bathroom zone they are to fitted into.

Like Gary says, you need "F" marked fittings.

There are 2 issues here: heat & moisture: you need fittings that can be safely installed into/onto a combustible surface and also be suited to the bathroom zone they are to fitted into.

I think I've realised that in order to get a "F" marked fitting which is at least IP44 (Zone 1/2) then the fittings are fairly large.

This looks like what I was really after - http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&g=20&t=518&r=626&i=6060 although they are £33 each and ideally I would need at least 2, so that makes them pretty expensive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back